DO meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KWLSD
    Dick - I'd welcome the opportunity to take a look at your systems - to see if there's anything we can do to reduce the problems you're having.

It remains to be seen what Mettler do with their new, membrane-based acquisition...

I'll send you a private message about the first part as a visit is not possible

Re the second - "new membrane system" ??????? They had one before, with a retractible housing for in line duties, I assume they had off line units and I'm pretty certain they now have optical units for high and low ranges, for both portable and in line use. Please explain further. Thanks
    dick

Comment

Okay Dick, will await PM.

Regarding Mettler, they bought Mecsens from former parent company Nirva at the back end of last year.

Instruments and sensors were excellent units; they even had a wireless inline DO2 sensor that communicated with a PDA

Comment

Thanks

Never heard of Mecsens. I guess they didn't operate widely in the brewing sector
        dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton
          Never heard of Mecsens. I guess they didn't operate widely in the brewing sector
          They had a client base primarily in mainland Europe, both brewing and soft drinks (the latter for their package analyser - I believe Coca-Cola had them in some plants).

Within the UK there are some systems/sensors about - one of the benefits being their DO2 sensor worked directly with most Orbisphere instruments so made a cost-effective option when the OE one needed replacement.

Bearing in mind everyone's need to try to keep a cap on costs, sensor replacement is a far better option than the high cost of swapping for an entirely different system altogether, eg. optical.

Ultimately it's very rare for an instrument to fail - unless it's physically abused (eg. dropping a portable meter or big power surge on a panel-mounted unit) - so why throw out a substantial amount of investment?

Comment

As a small brewery we can not afford buying inline equipment for every process, but with a portable we can check different process points. MT do not have a portable unit with the new optical technic. Is there anyone else which has a optical portable device?

Comment

Orbisphere (Hach Lange) have now introduced their portable with an optical sensor; I don't know the price at present but I would not expect it to be cheap!

Haffmans also make an optical portable, but again the price will be a strong consideration.

Having a good, reliable portable to check the various important points for DO2 is an excellent idea. Certainly don't discount EC instruments - they are excellent pieces of kit and very user-friendly.

We have sold a number of refurbished second-user units - as my earlier post, I am desperately trying to get some more as we have a waiting list

Comment

Working...
              X