Spent Grain Uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Feed

I am going to experiment with feeding fish!
    I know it works well as a mulch allowing water to flow through well but keeping weeds down.
    Instead of adding kelp meal(which I use in my greenhouse potiing mixes) add the spent yeast into yhe spent grains there by increasing the protien and micronutrient level of the mix. You should kill the yeast first if used as animal feed.
    Doug A Moller
    Brewmaster
    The Moller Brew House
    (405)226-3111

Comment

I saw an agricultural training school in Burkina Faso using dried out spent grain for fish farming. And we even got to eat some of the fish!

Cheers,
      Chris O'Brien
      **Now Available in Bookstores**
      Fermenting Revolution: How to Drink Beer & Save the World

www.beeractivist.com - Drink Beer. Save the World.
      www.breworganic.com - Fine organic and fair trade homebrewing and home coffee roasting supplies.

Comment

spent grain gardening

How much nitrogen does the spent grain take up while it's decomposing? And is there an issue with spent yeast and soil micro-organisms? I haven't been using either directly on the soil yet, but composting both. Once composted, we use it all for soil mix and feeding the hops. I also find that spent grain clumps in the compost, requiring lots of turning and plenty of other compost additions. Fortunately, we have lots! I have been working on the assumption that spent grain would act like wood chips, taking a great deal of nitrogen out of the soil while it decomposes. I use kettle trub as mulch, however, since we use whole hops. It's a wonderful mulch - especially for garlic!
        Crannóg Ales
        Canada's Certified Organic, on-farm microbrewery
        www.crannogales.com

Comment

Baking with spent grain

I have been baking bread with spent grains for years. Some loaves better than others but always a conversation started when I serve it. Last night I baked date/spent grain bars (oat.flour crust on bottom, a layer of dates, nuts and spent grain from a stout, topped by another layer of crumbs). Interesting!! Very edible but a different taste.

Comment

spent grains

There's a lot of discussion in the Malt Q&A as well.

Comment

Spent yeast

Spent yeast has uses in the food industry as "autolysed yeast protein" found in snack foods, etc. It provides a "meaty", umami taste. We found a processor in a larger city who came to pick up 55 gallon poly barrels of it. Saved us from dumping it. A small brewery might not have enough to make it worth while. Good luck!
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Posting about 'umami' is outing you and your 'asia in general' location gitchegumee
                www.devilcraft.jp
                www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

OK! Been in Palau a while and it looks like a while longer, so I changed the ambiguous location in my profile! I would, however like to find work in a small Japanese brewery at some point in the future. If you come across any leads, I'd appreciate you letting me know. Thanks and Kampai!
                  Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Spent Grain Dog Biscuits

Spent Grain Dog Biscuits
                    4 cups flour
                    4 cups spent grain (DO NOT USE SPENT GRAIN IN WHICH FIRST WORT HOPS WERE ADDED. HOPS ARE POTENTIALLY FATAL TO DOGS!!!)
                    1 cup peanut butter
                    1 egg

Mix with hands. Roll mixture onto cookie sheet to the desired thickness. They will not rise. Cut into shapes. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven to cool. Bake again at 225° for 8 to 10 hours for complete drying. If they don't completely dry they'll spoil.

Comment

Spent Grain and Yeast I haven't seen yet

I have a farmer who takes spent grain for buffalo and elk and she has goats too! She makes goat milk soaps, lotions, and beauty supplies. She dries the malt and husks for an abrasive in a gardener's soap and she is perfecting a soap recipe and lotion recipe for the yeast. Supposedly like antioxidants from more known sources, yeast stops you from the wrinkling. Rather drink the cure than rub it on my face though!

Composting in the hopyard is perfected by chickens. They scratch the clumps and contribute their own little nitrogen packages. We call it internal composting and the smell is no worse than compost pile. The amount of grain they can eat and distribute is impressive. The eggs are good too!

Comment

im gonna try making flapjacks with spent grain.
                        bit of oats, bit of dried, used grain.
                        bit of honey, fruit, chocolate etc...
                        GeorgeJ
                        Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
                        Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

What do you usually do with spent grain?

Hey people,

I'm new here, so if this is an odd question, please forgive me.

What do you guys usually do with your spent grain? Do you have to pay to dump it? Do you sell it to people to use as feed? How much does a brewery usually produce?

I'd love to get a hold of samples of spent grain and spent yeast to try as a nutrient on my mushroom farm.

Thank you!

Comment

Biogas

Ours is picked up for use in a biogas facility.

Comment

We compost the grain, trub and spent yeast together. That is used to help grow flowers and grapes.
                              eatdrinkandbemerry
                              Jon Hill, Brewer
                              Atlantic Brewing Co
                              jon at atlanticbrewing dot com

Comment

Homemade Vegimite

Has anyone ever made a homemade version of vegimite with their old yeast? Is it even possible? As far as I can tell vegimite is just salted and consentrated yeast. great on bread and awesome for a hangover full of B-vitamins.

just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X