brewery hose material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brewery hose material

I just bought new hoses, I got them from a local dealer and got a really good price. The thing is, once I got them I looked up the specs on the manufacturer's website and they are made from nitrile rubber instead of Chlorobutyl, which is what most brewery hose seems to be made from. They are marked as FDA compliant food grade S&D hose and otherwise seem to be exactly like every other brewery hose I have ever seen.

So, is it ok to use hose made from this material for brewery operations? Is there any potential for off flavors in the beer? I would ask the sales rep from the company I bought from, but I trust the opinions here a lot more than them at this point.

I have heard second hand but from a reliable source that hose marked "winery" and not "winery/brewery" will give an off-flavor when used with caustic. Whether this is the nitrile issue, I don't know.

Comment

FWIW, premier stainless distributes the "vintner's hose" with their brewing equipment. I would like to hear a non-2nd hand report of off flavors when caustic is used. I have yet to hear a reliable report as such. I got a quote on the "brewery hose" from goodyear and it was going to be 5X as expensive as the vintner's hose from GW kent. The guy that quoted it says goodyear does not stock the brewery hose and only produces it on demand for each order. The inner liners for the vintner and brewer hoses from the goodyear specs look identical to me, but the lb/ft for brewery hose is higher.

Brewline

Vintner's hose

reference which specifically refers to Butyl rubber as being caustic resistant up to 200F, chlorobutyl rubber is said to have similar properties.

Last edited by CopperKettle; 02-14-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I am using FDA grade hose with White nitrile-PVC blend liner.
        I think our beers are pretty solid.

Comment

I would be interested in knowing what you find out. Please update us.

Comment

Rubber Materials

If you plan to run very hot liquid >200F or use heavy caustics then you should be buying an EPDM lined hose. I don't think you will see much difference between Nitrile & Chlorobutyl, however Chlorobutyl is rated for a slightly higher temperature. Compounds of rubber have very general guidelines as far as temperature range and chemical resistence, but just like anything else there are cheap variations that can result in poor performance and sometimes (worst case) imparting taste and smell to the medium. I hope that helps.
            Jet Gasket & Seal Co
            Brewerygaskets.com
            (702) 448-6787

Comment

Has anyone used the novaflex line? Also, how much are people paying for the goodyear hose? Thanks.

http://www.novaflex.com/productcart/...ct=855#details

Comment

Originally posted by pete
                Has anyone used the novaflex line? Also, how much are people paying for the goodyear hose? Thanks.

http://www.novaflex.com/productcart/...ct=855#details
                Here is a link for the hose prices at GW: http://breweryparts.com/index.php/eq...lies/hose.html

Comment

hose

I have used these guys for years

Comment

Originally posted by jbrew55
                    I have used these guys for years
                    http://www.spc-fl.com/
                    How does their hose prices compare to GW?

Comment

Originally posted by CopperKettle
                      FWIW, premier stainless distributes the "vintner's hose" with their brewing equipment. I would like to hear a non-2nd hand report of off flavors when caustic is used. I have yet to hear a reliable report as such. I got a quote on the "brewery hose" from goodyear and it was going to be 5X as expensive as the vintner's hose from GW kent. The guy that quoted it says goodyear does not stock the brewery hose and only produces it on demand for each order. The inner liners for the vintner and brewer hoses from the goodyear specs look identical to me, but the lb/ft for brewery hose is higher.

Brewline

Vintner's hose

reference which specifically refers to Butyl rubber as being caustic resistant up to 200F, chlorobutyl rubber is said to have similar properties.

http://www.industrialrubbergoods.com/rubber-lining.html
                      I have the vintner's hose that came with my 3bbl system from premier, so far I have had no issues with off flavors. I usually run pbw at around 170 degrees.
                      dangerously good ales.

Comment

Originally posted by CopperKettle
                        5x than 15 per ft? Did they really quote you 75 per ft for brewery hose?

If you are out west, check these guys out.

http://alternativehose.com/

And for what it is worth, the hoses labeled vintner or brewery seem to be marked up a good 30-50% more than the hose that I posted above, which seems to have the exact or pretty close to the same specs.

Comment

Working...
                        X