Unique Hop Varieties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Hop Varieties

If you had a chance to be the sole owner/farmer of a new and unique hop variety or varieties, would you?

What would that right to be the sole owner/farmer be worth to you?

I'm talking about hop varieties that could be patented if one wanted to patent.

What kind of premium would you place on such a rare opportunity?

I'm talking about hops that will grow outside of the known hop regions and will thrive in unique environments as well as thrive in known regions.

Would 60-130, 3-yr old crowns of a known new variety be sufficient for you to launch your exclusive options?

Does anybody care?

The time has come.

Todd Bates
    "Jobs for plants, plants for jobs"
    nmnpr68@yahoo.com

As always, I love to try new varieties. In your proposed situation, I think it would depend a great deal on the usefulness of said hop. Is it a dual purpose, how high is the alpha, how tasty is th aroma, is it an aroma that you think might catch on with the cool kid hop head breweries?
    To bank everything on one variety of hop sounds damn risky to me. I might grow lots of hops while slowly trying to push the "new" variety, and grow the variety at a reasonable rate, as demand dictates or close to it. my2cents
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
      As always, I love to try new varieties. In your proposed situation, I think it would depend a great deal on the usefulness of said hop. Is it a dual purpose, how high is the alpha, how tasty is th aroma, is it an aroma that you think might catch on with the cool kid hop head breweries?
      To bank everything on one variety of hop sounds damn risky to me. I might grow lots of hops while slowly trying to push the "new" variety, and grow the variety at a reasonable rate, as demand dictates or close to it. my2cents
      BrewinLou- The hops I speak of are aroma hops with alpha's from 4.5, 5.7, 7.2, and 9.2 alpha. The flavors range from deep orange to bright lemon with some tangerine in the mix. There is more than one variety.

"Pushing" any of these hops is not the issue as every brewer that used these hops had the brews go out the door faster than any other beer they had brewed.

The big reality is that these hops are native North American hop fullbloods, Humulus lupulus var. neomexicana.

These are the first neomexicana hops to enter the brewing world, which represents a very unique option.

Todd

Comment

Todd,

Have you trademarked/patented those beauties? Not sure how you go about it but it would seem to me to (given their uniqueness) be prudent to do so before large scale commercialization.

Are you the sole developer? Are there other farmers with identical rootstock?

I am definitely interested in more info about your hops. Pricing/availability/form/pack size/alphas etc. I'd love to give them a try in at least one batch.

I do wonder also if they would thrive here in NL. Cool temps but long photoperiod/daylength in the late spring/summer/fall.

Drop me a line at big.mac.liammckenna (at) gmail (dot) com

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
          Todd,

Have you trademarked/patented those beauties? Not sure how you go about it but it would seem to me to (given their uniqueness) be prudent to do so before large scale commercialization.

Are you the sole developer? Are there other farmers with identical rootstock?

I am definitely interested in more info about your hops. Pricing/availability/form/pack size/alphas etc. I'd love to give them a try in at least one batch.

I do wonder also if they would thrive here in NL. Cool temps but long photoperiod/daylength in the late spring/summer/fall.

Drop me a line at big.mac.liammckenna (at) gmail (dot) com

Pax.

Liam
          Hi Liam,

I have not done any form of protection for these plants other than breed and propagate the winners. No other people/farmers have these varieties or rootstocks, yet.
          Prime grade H.L. neomexicana hops have never been developed before and this is the first time ever, anywhere.

It only took 10 yrs for the hard part.

This would be a first offering.

Liam- I'll email you later today.

Comment

""What would that right to be the sole owner/farmer be worth to you?

I'm talking about hop varieties that could be patented if one wanted to patent.

What kind of premium would you place on such a rare opportunity?""

Well judging from what you said the opportunity is a good one. But that does not change the fact that the hop market has been volatile as L in the last few years. That said I think a small farm of unique hops would do well in any market at this point. How many planted acres are in now? How long will it take to plant more? How many acres are available for them?
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Great opportunity for a emerging hop industry like we have in Vermont .
              Tood please email me matthendry@gmail.com

Comment

With the amount of breweries opening in the US, there will always be a need for more varieties (true unique aromas and flavors). Every brewer wants a unique hop blend just like they want a unique yeast or malt bill. At least I do anyway.
                Andrew Godley
                Parish Brewing Co.
                Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

Oh no!

Todd,

I tried to send you a PM, but PB says your account is full, so here's what I had tried to send you:

Wildcrafter, you're not selling the farm, are you? I hope all is going well with your dream out there. I am hoping to get a few (dozen? hundred?) rhizomes of your special hops to start a new small field at our hop farm/brewery this year (although I'm dreadfully late in the season at this point). Any interest? Money? Beer? What's good for you?

Taylor Smack
                  Blue Mountain Brewery
                  Afton, VA

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responses.

I'm finally back to the farm, and,,,

It's hop digging time!!!!!!

Todd
                    nmnpr68@yahoo.com
                    "Jobs for plants, plants for jobs"

Comment

Working...