Mash tun blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash tun blues...

I'm getting small pieces of grain in my runoff more than I'd like. Even after extended vorlauf. I'm used to producing brilliant wort, but over the last year or so, more stuff is getting by. Looks like my false bottom is in good shape, but obviously not so. Does anybody have a clever way to find where the holes in my v-wire or gaps in my bottom are? Sure would like to get back to clear worts. Thanks!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Your mill rollers aren't drifting perhaps? Bearings becoming worn?

Have you acid washed your wedge wire, scrubbing back with brush lately?

Stating the obvious perhaps.

There must be some sort of contact tape available to check the metal to metal contact of the plate at the outer perimeter. Kind of like the stuff they use at the dentist to evaluate your bite after a new filling or crown.

Or maybe not.
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I really doubt it would be changes in the plates unless you have beat them up.
      I am more thinking either mill gap is too close, or your malt has somewhat changed, including a humidity change so it shatters differently. Perhaps a slightly more open mill would give fewer fines? Is extract or runoff time the same?
      I don't know your lauter equipment, but due to some older malt, I had to add a mesh bag in line downstream of my lauter tun to collect chunks.

Comment

Frequently overloading your mashtun with or walking/standing on improperly supported plates, failed welds on outer ring support, plates frequently being taken in and out and suffering deformation...all are potential reasons for plate deformation and bleed through at the outer ring.

Just sayin'

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Do you run a wort grant or pull direct from mash bottom? Id check mill and malt lots first. Ive seen and brewed on some crude false bottoms and was always able to vorlauf it and get clear runoff.

Comment

How long would you expect it to take get clear runoff recirculating on a 15BBL system?
            Regards,
            Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company
            http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Comment

My 15 bbl. system clears out in 7-10 min. Have you pulled your grates out and scrubbed under them? Thats helped me before. Also, try slowing down the rate that you run over to the kettle. You might have so much suction you are pulling the grain thru the grates
              Last edited by beerguy1; 10-21-2014, 07:45 AM.
              Mike Eme
              Brewmaster

Comment

Mash tun blues...

I'm recirculating for an hour to clear up the runnings and it takes ~90 minutes to transfer to the kettle. This means a flow rate of ~20L/min (5 gallons per minute).
                Last edited by kererubrewing; 10-21-2014, 11:54 AM.
                Regards,
                Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by kererubrewing View Post
                  I'm recirculating for an hour to clear up the runnings and it takes ~90 minutes to transfer to the kettle. This means a flow rate of ~20L/min (5 gallons per minute).
                  recirc for an hour seems very long, i used a 15 bbl mlt and was able to start runoff after 15-20 mins. maybe your speed during vorlauf is to fast? if mill gap is alright

Comment

The size of the mash tun is an irrelevant factor in the vorlauf time necesary for clear beer. The key factors are how fast your pumping, the amount of volume beneath the grates, how many outlets there are on the mash tun, condition of the false bottom, and the mill settings.

For example we have a 30 and a 60 bbl brewhouse the 30 takes 40-60 mins to run clear the 60 takes 15-30.

Comment

Also I have found that atleast on the systems I brew on 80-100 minute run offs yields the best efficiencies. It sounds more and more to me like your crush is too fine.

Comment

We thought too fine a crush was at issue too. We will be trying a slower recirc speed today.
                        Regards,
                        Chris Mills

Kereru Brewing Company

Comment

Working...
                        X