scale options for a mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scale options for a mill

Just found out that there is no means of weighing malt as it goes into the mill on our new brewhouse that's being delivered in a couple weeks. Wondering what the best (and most economical method) of weighing base malt out as it hits the mill is. Our setup will be using 2000# super-sacks of 2-row suspended above the mill with a chain hoist. I need a way to weigh out the malt as it gets dumped from the super sack into the mill. In the short hour from having found this out I have looked into dump scales, putting the mill on load cells, and using a crane scale to measure out the super sack as it empties and counting backwards from there. All are pretty pricey, which I'm assuming is just gonna be the case. Any ideas on a good way to approach this issue without abandoning the super sack idea and sticking with 50# bags...my back would thank you.

Thanks,

Chase

Save my back

Hey

The best way i know is to use the air bags designed for trucks and scale the air pressure into weight. I did this with with a hopper and it works well. The scale cost less that 600 dollars.

Graydon

Comment

Try ebay for a used crane scale. (or even new/surplus) (or kijiji or some other site - don't mean to plug ebay specifically)

It'll be easiest with your chain hoist set up.

You should be able to find what you need in good condition for a coupla' hundred.

Luck,

Liam
      Last edited by liammckenna; 05-02-2011, 03:08 PM.
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I think we're going to bite the bullet and purchase a crane scale I found for $400. I worry about the quality of it considering the majority were in the 12-1800 dollar range but we'll see. We don't have the outdoor space for a silo so super-sacks were our best option for getting bulk malt (and bulk prices) plus saving my own back. Hopefully the set-up will work well and should pay itself off quickly.

Comment

Buy your super sacks in pre-weighed increments. What is your brew length?
          Cheers!
          David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
            Buy your super sacks in pre-weighed increments. What is your brew length?
            I didn't know you could buy them pre-weighed. That would be a great option. There should be 3 hours between mash-ins (new system arrives in 9 days so we'll see soon.)

Comment

Brew length = brewhouse capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bierkoenig
                Brew length = brewhouse capacity.
                What he said. How big is your Brewhouse?
                Cheers!
                David R. Pierce

Comment

20 bbl brew house. 40 bbl fermenters filled in one day (for the most part). best selling beer has 1100# 2-row per mash. The second best selling beer is on the other end of the spectrum and only uses 600# of 2-row per mash. That seems a bit small for one super-sack.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser
                    20 bbl brew house. 40 bbl fermenters filled in one day (for the most part). best selling beer has 1100# 2-row per mash. The second best selling beer is on the other end of the spectrum and only uses 600# of 2-row per mash. That seems a bit small for one super-sack.
                    1100 should be doable. 600 (12 x 50 bags) would go in a 1000 lb sack. Who is your supplier?
                    Cheers!
                    David R. Pierce

Comment

1100 should be doable. 600 (12 x 50 bags) would go in a 1000 lb sack. Who is your supplier?
                      Brewers Supply Group. Rahr is the base malt. Pre-weighed bags, if they are available, would be nice for at least the best selling beers.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser
                        Brewers Supply Group. Rahr is the base malt. Pre-weighed bags, if they are available, would be nice for at least the best selling beers.
                        All you can do is ask. Another supplier has made three different loads for me. You can dump your specialties into the bulk bag prior to hoisting/dumping. Good luck!
                        Cheers!
                        David R. Pierce

Comment

All you can do is ask. Another supplier has made three different loads for me. You can dump your specialties into the bulk bag prior to hoisting/dumping. Good luck!
                          Will do. Thanks for the advice!

-Chase

Comment

Working...
                          X