insulating an open fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulating an open fermenter

I've got 3 letina "variable capacity" fermenters i'm looking to use. They have a u-shaped glycol jacket and are uninsulated. I'm looking to insulate them (but not clad them). I have seen/heard/read on these forums that neoprene is a good solution. looking at various sources (mcmaster/grainger) yields about 10 different listings for neoprene insulation. anybody out there that has done this have any suggestions for the type of neoprene insulation (or better a part number) that they have used with success? i assume a closed cell would be preferred so as not to absorb water. Other than that and temp resistance what else should I look out for?

thanks in advance for any responses.....
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

I may not be aware of the newest materials out there now, but I've had nothing but bad luck with exposed neoprene. Clad, no problems--but exposed neoprene seems to always get wet and moldy and slimy and stinky and just a *&^%$#@ mess to keep clean. Especially on a fermenter. I'd advocate at least covering with some kind of thick sheet plastic. Our beer cans are shipped with a slip sheet 0.025" thick and would be cheap and disposable. Something like that. Anything to keep it dry--if that's even possible. And a note on insulation: make sure that leachable chlorides are extremely low. They tend to pit stainless steel over time. Especially at elevated temperatures. Probably more of an issue with fiberglass and the like. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

thanks for the reply phil. that is exactly my concern. these vessels arrived partly covered with the foil covered bubble wrap insulation and it is wet/stinky/moldy. i'm looking for something better and maybe its neoprene, maybe its not. I may be able to "clad" them with something, but water will still get into it around port holes etc, although I guess it would be better than nothing...

if anybody has a suggestion other than neoprene, i'm all ears.....
      Scott LaFollette
      Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

I was recently at a distillery conference and the guys at Scott Labs were in the next booth over- they were telling me about an after market product to insulate tanks. There's possibly programs that will cover part of the costs too from your Power Company.

Thanks

Jim
        Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

thanks.

thanks Jim, I'll check them out...
          Scott LaFollette
          Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

As a scuba diver, I can tell you that neoprene isn't all that great at remaining clean. If a wetsuit isn't scrupulously cleaned, and then thoroughly dried, it stinks. The only way I'd use it is if it were really cheap and I could clad it against any moisture intrusion. Interested to learn what Scott Labs is hawking--it's not on their website. Good luck!
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
              Interested to learn what Scott Labs is hawking--it's not on their website. Good luck!

here is the link to their page: http://www.scottlab.com/product-15.aspx

Comment

Check out Nansulate. Spray or paint on isuslating coating. I have been itching to try it. Reseach on it seems solid and it would be much easier.
                Big Willey
                "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
                X