Research project - waste water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Research project - waste water

Hello all, I am conducting an extensive research study on how much waste water is produced in the production process of beer (for microbreweries perferably). Specifically I wanted to know how much waste water is produced per barrel usually as well as how all this waste effects the firm profitability. From what I've heard waste products is a huge issue in breweries, and they are always trying to think of new ways to minimize this issue. I'm not too knowledgeable myself about the beer brewing industry so any help would be great. If there are any brewers (who own breweries, or have been in the business for some time) i would greatly appreciate your input and if possible an interview would be great to supplement with the study im doing. Thanks again! cheers!

~Jeff

Search the many related posts on this site. Lots of information just waiting to be read.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Pollution Prevention / Waste Reduction Clearinghouses & Assistance

A long time ago, in a lifetime far, far away... I used to work with an EPA resource center that worked closely (both in non-regulatory fashion) with the North Carolina program that stockpiles knowledgable people as well as documents similar to the one here:

I don't know your ultimate intention, but it kinda sounded like you were leaning towards something like "water use reduction in microbreweries". Or something. So, there's lots of docs out there already you can base your research on, though lots may tend toward larger brewers. Or old info, like the doc above.

So, for you, and for all them fellow brewers out there who might be interested... Each state typically has a program like the NC one I specified (p2pays), and in addition there's typically a regional one served by the EPA also. Some operate as full-fledged government offices, some as university extensions (like in TN). But all provide NON-REGULATORY help with addressing pollution and waste reduction issues in general. They'll even come out and do an "inspection" of you facility with you, then go back to their offices and create a custom report for you: suggestions, time till cost recovery, and so on. Or they'll just package up a buncha documentation for you if that's all you request with docs, vendor information, etc., etc. etc.

So, yeah, there it is. I've been out of this line of work for quite a few years, but it's still engrained in me. And with all the stuff New Belgium and Sierra Nevada are doing, I could imagine there are some decent case studies and Best Practices docs now for micros. Post back if ya find something good, please.
      Last edited by NinkasiSwain; 05-05-2011, 11:54 PM.

Comment

wastewater

Yeah that document does help to some extent, but I wanted to focus more and how much wastewater is produced in any brewery (doesnt have to be micro) and what that waste costs them, if that makes sense. From what i've read, waste water is usually 4-10 bbl per bbl beer. my study focuses more on how this waste effects a brewery profitability. In addition to how it affects profitability, i need to determine what the most efficient way of treating the wastewater is. So far I feel like alot of places use Anaerobic treatment, but its hard to find what this type of treatment costs a brewery to do. Is water the largest waste product breweries typically have? If anyone could point me in the direction of some more documents relating to this that would be great. Unfortunately for my study my sources have to be "legitimate" (meaning from a journal or known source). I know this can be difficult, but any help would be great. Or if anyone could perhaps do an interview with me online (via skype or email) that would work as well! thank you again for all the help, i appreciate it.

~Jeff
        Last edited by jshahgan; 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

any ideas?

Comment

Waste water is by far the largest volume waste product from a typical brewery.

Take a look at the attached for typical overstrength effluent numbers. they vary somewhat from one municipality to another. This is one example.

Effluent volume numbers should be easy to estimate. There are stats available on average consumption of water per bbl beer. If you subtract one bbl from that average number you'll end up with the average effluent per bbl.

You'll also need to characterize (BOD, TSS, pH etc) typical brewery waste to plug numbers into the formula.

I would suggest MBAA journal or Brauwelt for quotable numbers. Also for a wealth of info on brewery waste.

From there you can calculate the cost to a brewery that does no treatment of their waste at all. It's often a large number.

One of the most cost effective methods that I have seen of effluent treatment for breweries and wineries who have the space are constructed wetlands

Waste water treatment can often be capital intensive. Many small breweries either don't have the space, expertise, capital or time to extensively deal with their effluent via secondary treatment. Many just suffer the waste charges.

I've also heard of many whose municipality doesn't bother them at all regarding their waste. I can't see that situation continuing for long.

Good luck,

Liam
            Attached Files
            Liam McKenna
            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
            X