Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer pump issue.....

Hey all,

Can you recommend anyone in the Portland area that can help me fix a Gould transfer pump. It is 3 HP and single phase.

We got this thing used and only used it for two test batches before failure. Fortunately, it failed after we had pumped over to our fermenter.

When you turn the motor on with the switch, it will jump like it's going to start, make about a half of a revolution and nothing. Our 20 amp circuit breaker pops the very second you hit the switch.

Frustrated. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris
    There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.

wiring

Well it sounds like hot is grounding out, have you pulled the case to see if a wire has rubbed through, same goes for the wiring box on the motor. Otherwise check other wiring as well as the vfd if there is one.

Originally posted by 2 Kilts Brewery
    Hey all,

Can you recommend anyone in the Portland area that can help me fix a Gould transfer pump. It is 3 HP and single phase.

We got this thing used and only used it for two test batches before failure. Fortunately, it failed after we had pumped over to our fermenter.

When you turn the motor on with the switch, it will jump like it's going to start, make about a half of a revolution and nothing. Our 20 amp circuit breaker pops the very second you hit the switch.

Frustrated. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

May be the starter. Reaonably cheap to replace. I usually replace these on used motors.

Also check this out. Trouble shooting for single phase motors.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Probably has a start/run capacitor. It will fail after the start (which is only about a quarter second)

Usually about $10-15 for the part. Take it to an electric motor shop or an alternator/starter shop. They usually stock parts.

Good Luck
        Nat

Comment

Working...
        X