RO users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RO users...

I'm installing an RO system. My first at a brewery--I've been able to brew with every other water source I've had. Not this stuff! So I imagine that like us, most installations using RO water have a "day tank" or other processed water reservoir. This low-mineral water sits around for a day or two or three. Is there any post treatment required? Seems like the worst case for this water is final rinse on fermentation tanks (assuming I'm rinsing--and I'm not sure I will). I know that the day tank must be spotless, and kept that way. Is letting a tank of RO water sit in a warm climate a liability of any consequence? And what treatment would I use? Chlorine dioxide? Don't like the idea of that going into my HLT. UV? Immaculate cleaning good enough? Thanks, as usual, for the great information I get on this board daily! Cheers!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

After speaking with local water engineers their recommendations to me was to use UV to kill any bugs that could possibly grow in the holding tank. It was a fairly cheap solution.

Cheers,
    Jon Messier
    This website is for sale! lucidbrewing.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, lucidbrewing.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Jon Messier | Lucid Brewing | LucidBrewing.com
    Clarity In Thinking. Excellence in Drinking.

Comment

I'm sending you a PM with some information.........

Comment

I currently use an RO tank for makeup in most of my brews. I am in perhaps the most humid and hot place in the US, though not tropical asia. The RO sits in a covered poly tank for several days before use and I haven't completely emptied in in over a year. No treatment, nothing else in the tank except delicious, pure, ultra-low TDS water. I think if it was left stagnant for weeks, there would be risk of mildew or other unwanted organisms taking up residence. I'm drawing down the level and refilling it at least twice per week at a minimum and it has been perfectly fine for me without any other effort on my part.

Andrew
        Andrew Godley
        Parish Brewing Co.
        Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

After holding tank comes - pump - sediment filter - UV x 2 set. Not sure why there's 2 UV but that's what we've been told to do.

Comment

Don't you kill all the bugs in the boil?
            If you are concern about any bugs you should be concerned what is in the tank in the first place.
            UV in the line out does nothing to address this issue.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Renzo, the UV x 2 may be due to flow rates and residence time issues. I have a UV that I'll install on the outlet of the CLP just to be sure. But I will try to keep the day tank absolutely pristine, draw it down to empty frequently, and zap it with chlorine dioxide once in a while. Can't be too careful...

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty_Monk
                Don't you kill all the bugs in the boil?
                If you are concern about any bugs you should be concerned what is in the tank in the first place.
                UV in the line out does nothing to address this issue.
                Yeah you'd think so but because it's also used for cleaning and in a tropical environment it's better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Comment

Not all brewery water is boiled.... Consider rinsing tanks. Rehydrating yeast. Chase water. Washing your hands. Etc... This brewery won't be a packaging facility, but if it was I'd be even more concerned. Safe vs. sorry. Belt and suspenders. Do it right the first time. Redundant and overly cautious. I'll UV the process water coming out of what should be a sterile tank of low mineral water. I'll sleep better.

Comment

You should carbon filter the water to remove chlorine if you are using a towns water supply, before passing through the RO plant. Not sure why, and perhaps it is only polymer membranes, but they get damaged by chlorine. Ceramic membranes may be OK, but best check with the suppliers. Certainly, the water should be trap filtered just before the RO plant to remove any particulate matter, including carbon.

Good CIP with routine UV, sterilising filters (typically 0.45 or 0.1 micron), or ClO2 for post RO treatment. No matter how hard you try, some contamination always seems to take place, so it needs to be controlled, albeit at considerable expense.
                    dick

Comment

We have a softener before the RO unit to remove carbonates. Then a trap and carbon filter, and finally RO. Supposed to get our TDS as low as possible. Ours is bore water--no chlorine. When I install the UV, should it be as a once through on the way to use, or set up to recirculate prior to use? I have no technical data on this UV unit except what I can read on the bulb. But it is a 1 1/2" flanged unit, so must be good for decent flow rate. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I've set up both systems. We recirculated a bulk tank through the UVto keep the tank contents sweat, as we only cleaned it periodically - say monthly. The supply came into the tank through the UV, and when no forward flow into the tank, the tank was recirculated, but we could draw off the tank contents faster than the supply for short periods.

However, most have been set up with either a continuous bleed, or periodically flush through to drain.

The key reason for each of these methods is to keep the lamp cool.

Whichever method you use you need to ensure regular checks on the transmission value, and ideally have alarm monitoring to prevent use if the transmissivity is less than acceptable
                        dick

Comment

Working...
                        X