bamford mill info/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bamford mill info/help

we got this bamford mill (weighs a ton) with a huge hopper in part of a package deal... has a untagged motor as well. belts look ok needs some cleaning and work

anyone know where to get any info on this unit or where to start looking. needs some elbo grease type cleaning and grease. not sure where we should start. any help is appreciated!

model OC 3 LM
    serial# 9730 117
    built in 1997

http://www.laverybrewing.com/mill.jpg

I may have a manual somewhere for the mill, but it is just such a simple piece of machinery. I found that the mill exuded tons of dust, and so I made some pieces out of aluminum sheet that wrapped from the bottom around to the inlet hopper, and another around the opposite side. Dust used to accumulate on sort of a shelf in the frame under the motor end, and the aluminum sheet prevents that from growing beetles.
    I would recommend disassembling the thing for a thorough cleaning, perhaps new bearings/belts. In retrospect, I wish I had filled the hollow ends of the rollers with spray foam (or such) and prevented malt dust and grist from hanging out there. I also recommend modifying the gap adjustment handle to make it longer so finer adjustments can be made, and ideally marked. This is necessary to more accurately re-adjust the gap if you change grains, or if you need to open it up to clear a problem.
    I removed the scrapers for the rollers because they just made noise. If they were modified to be brushes or rubber wipers they might be a good idea. The holes can be plugged with rubber stoppers.
    The single driven roller seemed a potential concern at first, but it does a fine job for the most part. The dust, though, was my only issue with the original design.

Comment

Working...
    X