Boiler size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler size?

Im in the start-up phase of my production brewery. What size steam boiler is right for a 30 bbl system? Is there some kind of math involved in figuring this out. Any info will help.

Boiler sizing

I'm not at work right now so I don't have the reference in front of me but there is a formula in the brewhouse engineering volume of the MBAA's 3 volume Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer, along with information about calculating your refrigeration loads too. I would strongly recommend picking up a copy if you are in the startup phase. Beyond that, you will need to consider what you plan to use the steam for. Will it just be wort boiling or also hot water. CIP? Steam sanitation for a keg line etc. Then you have to decide how many of those things you think you'll be doing at once (assume lots). The same considerations will hold true for refrigeration and even water supply. One thing I would caution is that you spend some time looking into the burner and steam controls, especially if this is to be a low pressure boiler. If it is cycling on and off all the time, it's really hard to keep a consistent head of steam, and that can be difficult within the narrow range of steam pressure you have with a low pressure boiler.
    Steve Bradt
    Regional Sales Manager
    Micro-Matic Packaging Division
    Eastern United States and Canada
    sbradt@micro-matic.com
    785-766-1921

Comment

Working...
    X