Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose banding question

Hello all,
    I am in the market for some brewery hose. I got a quote from STI on some with fittings fastened on and the cost is the same as buying hose from GW Kent and banding tool, bands and hose barb tri-clamps from St. Pats. My dilemma is that if I buy the hose and tools I can have them for other uses but I have never done the work. Is it as easy as putting the hose-barb in and banding it or are there other considerations to keep junk from getting between the hose and the barb? Any wisdom?

Thanks!
    Luch Scremin
    Engine 15 Brewing Co.
    luch at engine15 dot com

I have mine done on a commercial pneumatic bander at the local rubber hose supply shop, double bands of SS ofset 180deg., so one can be at the end of the barb and one more in the middle. I also recommend the longer barbs. I have seen them come off and if there is hot wort or hot water under pressure, someone almost always gets hurt. Hose clamps are not the way to go. I dont know if the banding tool you are looking at has enough power to do as well as the example above, but it would help if the hose is prewarmed. I also recommend setting up your hoses a foot or two longer than you need, cause years down the road you may want to cut 6" off the ends and reband them. We did that in the last re-build I did and lost the infectious ends that were due to the bands not in close proximity to the ends of the barbs. I also have some 1" hose and I like it so much better than the 1 1/2" due to weight and flexibility, consider using 1" in every application you can and you will be happier for it. Good luck and Prost!

Comment

Thanks Ray, that is good insight. I like the idea of rebanding from time to time

Prost!

Luch.
      Luch Scremin
      Engine 15 Brewing Co.
      luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

You gcan get a bander from Grianger for about 250$. Double band them for strength and for sanitation. Fist bsnd id at the very end of the hose of course. for the second, feel where the TC barb ends inside the hose and put one there. Stronger and keeps stuf from between the fitting and hose. If you do re-band cut away the entire area where theo old fiting was, about 6-8 inches.s
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
        X