Galaxy hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy hops

Just wanted some feedback from some folks that have used Galaxy hops? What are your thoughts....

Dry hopped

Have dry hopped with it. It resulted in a pretty solid passion/tropical fruit aroma. Still playing with it for aroma hopping & bittering hops to see how it acts.

Comment

Galaxy hops

We just made a Galaxy IPA. Not as harsh as Simcoe or Columbus (good? bad?, you decide) but along those lines. I very much like it and customer feedback has been great. Brady

Comment

Just dry-hopped 11bs of Galaxy into 9 Bbls of a Columbus heay DIPA will let you know how it turns out. I am hoping to balance the assertive "Columbusness" with some fruity flavors! Bag definately smelled tropical fruitiness!
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

I've been told Galaxy is supposed to be very similar to Citra. I've been using it in a golden ale for both flavor & aroma. I get a lot of tropical fruit from it. Similar to Citra but a little bit more "juicyfruit" and a little less grapefruit. I actually like it alot.
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Tasty stuff lots of fruit, very little citrus. Used it in an IPA with Falconer's flight and Orange peels though, so hard to tell exactly what it really added.
            __
            Kushal Hall
            Common Space Brewery
            Hawthorne, CA

Comment

I would not use it as a sub for Citra. I have used both in an IPA. Having tasted it without both and with each separately I do not think they are close enough. Citra has a more acidic fruit flav, Galaxy is all about tropical fruit.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

thanks for the feedback, I agree I would not use them for a substitue for Citra.. Didnt even think that they were that close?? Just my thoughts..

Comment

Originally posted by BigWilley
                  Just dry-hopped 11bs of Galaxy into 9 Bbls of a Columbus heay DIPA will let you know how it turns out. I am hoping to balance the assertive "Columbusness" with some fruity flavors! Bag definately smelled tropical fruitiness!
                  .....well?
                  The suspense is killing me!!
                  Jeff Byrne

Comment

Sorry! Just kegged it yesterday though I've been sampling it all along the way Im liking it. Certainly rounded out the Columbus hops which are pretty sharp. Like everyone else said it is very tropical fruit like. I used Citra (until I ran out) and dont really see the straight up comparison. I want to utilize my remaining Galaxy in an IPA where I can really see what it does more on its own. This beer is a 9% Columbus monster but the Galaxy still adds a noticeable frutiness. Maybe I'll dry hop my German Hef
                    Big Willey
                    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
                    X