Fermenter Temp Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter Temp Control

Can anyone give me a rundown on how to build a control panel for fermenter control? I don't really know enough about solenoids, controllers, and the electrical fun stuff to do it.

I guess I need to know how to build from the control panel to the solenoid.

Thanks
    Bill

Fermtroller

Bill

You might want to check out Brewtroller. The project is called Fermtroller and it is a homebrewer project plan, but I don't see why it couldn't work for a larger system. The good news is the board if built and you just connect the solenoids to it on the glycol line.

Nick

Comment

Neat program

That's a pretty nifty setup. I'll give them a call and see what's what.

That being said...I feel like I should know what the industry standard is, just for the sake of knowing.

Thanks Nick,

Bill

Comment

There's quite a variety of options to consider from a central panel with a bank of programmable controllers to utilizing individual temperature controllers that are mounted at each vessel.

For the glycol control valves you can go with pilot operated solenoid valves or with, more expensive, actuated valves. We recommend using the 0-2 PSI pressure differential solenoid valves that don't require a big pressure drop across the valve to open and close. Actuated valves are more expensive but are also more fail safe and reliable.

We can provide some quotes on different valves and temperature control options, please get in touch with our Inside Salesman, Andrew. He can answer any additional questions, please email him at andrewl@prorefrigeration.com

Good Luck,

Jim

Pro Refrigeration Inc.
        Pro Refrigeration Inc, manufactures, and distributes state-of-the-art chiller systems for the dairy, craft brewing, wineries, & many more!

Comment

I used a couple of these:
          Auber Instruments, Inc. Universal 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller [SYL-2362] - Product Note: If you want to use this controller to drive multiple (3 or more) single phase AC SSRs, or a 3-phase SSR, please contact us or leave a note with your order.  This temperature controller offers great value for its price as it is accurate, smart, reliable and equipped with more features than most controllers on the market (not just the similarly priced units). It is the perfect unit for both hobbyists, looking to upgrade their brewer, espresso machine or glass kiln, and professionals, in industrial use. The newly developed artificial intelligence enhanced PID algorithm and auto-tune function will control the temperature within one degree accuracy without complicated PID parameter fine tuning. This controller is not only made with all the primary functions of an industrial grade PID controller but also made simple for the amateur user. This controller has been upgraded with many new features. The cold junction compensation circuit has been improved for increased accuracy when used with thermocouple sensor. A new true on/off control mode is useful for controlling a refrigerator, motor, or solenoid valve that is not conducive to frequent switching. Users can set the temperature and hysteresis band. It will work like a mechanical thermostat with increased accuracy

Just hook up an RTD or Thermocouple to the sensor input, then connect your tank solenoid valve to the relay output of the controller.

The relay will make contact when the tank temp rises higher than the setpoint (cooling mode selected), and will turn off when the temp is met.

Just be sure to ground everything.
          Chris Enegren
          www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

Anyone have a link to a good solenoid valve?
            Cheers!

Jeff
            Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

Red Hat

Originally posted by BonedaleBeer
              Anyone have a link to a good solenoid valve?
              I went with these guys:

Looking for REDHAT, 2-Way, Solenoid Valve? Find it at Grainger.com®. With over one million products and 24/7 customer service we have supplies and solutions for every industry.

Comment

The Asco Red Hats from Grainger work well. Just make sure to get the ones with ZERO pressure differential. The 2 psi ones will stick open.
                Linus Hall
                Yazoo Brewing
                Nashville, TN
                www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Asco makes the Redhat 2 solenoid that works really well. I also recently purchased a Parker solenoid from McMaster Carr. It's working great, both were about the same price ($130).

I would definitely recommend buying a zero differential solenoid. It makes life alot easier. Also some valves can be mounted either vertical or horizontal and some cannot. Just be sure which kind you get.
                  Hutch Kugeman
                  Head Brewer
                  Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                  Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I am really fond of my Honeywell T775 controllers.
                    Beyond that, I veer off into an odd direction. Instead of having a big glycol pump and solenoid valves, I use a small pump for each tank. It takes a small pump (be sure pump is rated for cold fluids as some hot water circulators cannot handle cold) for each tank, but they are energy efficient and cost effective when you don't have a ton of tanks needing glycol at the same time.

Comment

Alternative to Solenoid Valves

Hi,
                      I have attached a picture of an actuated ball valve that we sell a lot of to Breweries instead of a solenoid valves.Rated votalge 80-240V DC or 50/60Hz AC. Sizes 3/4" to 2"
                      This valve have the benefits of:
                      Full bore
                      No servo channels that can clog
                      No pressure drop
                      8 seconds from fully open to fully closed so no water hammers
                      COOL-FIT ABS plastic so no corrosion and less condensation
                      insulation kits available
                      Manual override
                      Two limit switches
                      IP65
                      You can install our manual type 546 ball valve in your system and later on if you want mount the actuator.
                      Can be mounted in any directions

We also offer other electric actuated valves and pneumatic actuated valves.

Cheers!

Dan Strömberg

Market Segment Manager
                      Cooling & Refrigeration

GF Piping Systems
                      2882 Dow Avenue
                      Tustin, CA 92503
                      Tel. 714-368-4196
                      Cell 951-642-2339
                      dan.stromberg@georgfischer.com
                      Attached Files

Comment