Biofine Clear in a fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofine Clear in a fermenter

Has anyone used Biofine in a fermenter that has a carb stone so the tank can be used as a unitank? I am thinking of using biofine in the fermenter with my pale ale and IPA that are both dryhopped. Any info would be appreciated.

Do it all the time. My tanks dont have a carb stone so I hook one up to the racking port, get a good flow going and dose biofine from a 3 gal. corny through the sample valve and keep the carb stone going for at least 30 minutes. Works well. I typically use 1 litre biofine per 14-15Bbl batch.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Originally posted by BigWilley
      Do it all the time. My tanks dont have a carb stone so I hook one up to the racking port, get a good flow going and dose biofine from a 3 gal. corny through the sample valve and keep the carb stone going for at least 30 minutes. Works well. I typically use 1 litre biofine per 14-15Bbl batch.

Thanks for the info and for keeping Frank's spirit alive.

Comment

I should also mention that when I do a dryhopped beer I use a 20" cartridge filter at 5um to catch the "miscellaneous debris". I found that the 5um actually works better than a coarser 25um when trying to stop hops. Im thinking maybe the 25um allows too much junk into the cartridge plugging the thing up quicker.
        "And a couple of quarts of beer, would fix it so the intonation would not offend your ear" FZ
        Big Willey

Comment

I would suggest to do your carbonation early in the stage as you are mixing in the biofine. You wont want to disturb yeast and protein that has dropped out of solution. It's also good to drop the yeast from the cone several times and be sure to blow out the racking arm/sample port. Yeasties like to settle inside of the ports and the first bit is a bit muddy. Lastly, you can increase usage rate and/or get the product to 32-34f for 2-3days minimum to get the best bang for your buck. Cheers~

Comment

You wont want to disturb yeast and protein that has dropped out of solution. It's also good to drop the yeast from the cone several times and be sure to blow out the racking arm/sample port. Yeasties like to settle inside of the ports and the first bit is a bit muddy.
            Yes always. With Biofine I find it works in 24 hours or not at all. Cant get it to do anything for my Lager strain. I always come in the day after a fining addition and drop the crud from the bottom dump valve then go to the racking port and dump a quart or two to see where I stand. It helps to have a seperate TC to 3/8" or so to be able to pull a sample into a pint glass with. Often I have to dump more from the bottom to get the racking port to run clear. Biofine tends to leave "fluffy bottoms" so you have to dump just enough without wasting beer to optimize your yield. One trick I recently tried was transfering the whole batch to the server adding the biofine inline, the next day I hook up the draft line to the sample port instead of the bottom (mine sits at the 2.5 BBl mark) valve and therefore get clear beer while allowing extra time for everything to settle. Eventually you then pull all the junk off the bottom port and swithch the draft line to it. Seems to save a bit of time and beer.
            Big Willey

Comment

Working...
            X