Fungal Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fungal Identification

Can anyone identify a "growing substance" for me if I send a picture?
    Rough description creamy pink slime dripping from coolant lines may cohabitate with/come from Black mold.

Biofilm, ie. bacterial/microbial growth. The black material may also be a biofilm although if it's dry/powdery it's more likely to be aspergillus.

Comment

The most important aspect is that it reflects possible leaks of wort or beer, or more likely simply inadequate insulation / ventilation / cleaning, and that it will not be good news to get it into the beer.
      dick

Comment

Perhaps it's Serratia marcescens.

Here's some info on it,,, the "sacred" blood drips on statues.

A sinister bacterium implicated in Catholic miracles and "blood"-tainted polenta also kills coral, insects, and are even are up to no good in your contact lens case

Comment

What your seeing is probably commonly called a 'slime mold'. They can grow in hot/cold environments you think they wouldn't as long as its wet.
          1-identify and correct leaks. 2-kill with chlorine, bleach works well. 3-treat with quat.
          I see it around my pump head coolant line, cant fix that leak so its just part of cleaning/maintenance regime. Often seen around glycol lines with condensation = better insulation.
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

It's hard to kill, I found it growing in the corner of a wet cold room. It looked like some kind of magic mushroom out of an Edgar allen poe horror movie. Chlorine helps at first, allow it to dry and if you have Diatomaceous Earth, sprinkle it all around black mold and allow it to dry by using a fan. DE will dry out the mold and kill it, but beware, DE is difficult to get out of corners and grout. The over all goal should be to better insulate the lines so that you don't have condensation fueling the conditions that mold likes and I realize that's hard to do when it's being used everyday.

Comment

Working...
            X