Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

San Francisco Lager Yeast for a quick lager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Francisco Lager Yeast for a quick lager?

Hi all,

So our company is wanting to bring out a Lager in our brands for the "Lucky" crowd here. I was wondering anyone experience in using the San Francisco Lager Yeast strain for turning out a reasonable facsimile of a Lager in the time frame of Ale? Being we're a small startup Brewery we don't really have much tanks or time in the busy season!

Cheers,

Dave Woodward
    Tofino Brewing Co.

I use it alot. It produces lager like characteristics, but not the dryness of lagers. I enjoy it though. Leaves the beer rather malty.

Comment

I've had good success with it in almost all lager styles from pils to baltic porter, true it can be less of an attenuator, but a thorough, beta intensive mash will leave the beer plenty dry. The beers can be turned quickly, even without filtration.
      Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

If time frame is a concern, choose carefully. The strain BSI sells makes killer beers but does take its sweet time.

Comment

Dave,

Did you ever use the San Fran yeast? How did it turn out?

Eric

Originally posted by juliobrewer
          Hi all,

So our company is wanting to bring out a Lager in our brands for the "Lucky" crowd here. I was wondering anyone experience in using the San Francisco Lager Yeast strain for turning out a reasonable facsimile of a Lager in the time frame of Ale? Being we're a small startup Brewery we don't really have much tanks or time in the busy season!

Cheers,

Dave Woodward
          Tofino Brewing Co.

Comment

Eric,

No we decided to go with a Blonde Ale instead. Easier to brew with the timeframe provided.

Dave.

Comment

Working...
            X