Craft Brewers Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craft Brewers Conference

How much is it usually? The website doesn't list it yet. Also, what is the general take on it, is it worth it?

Mills

CBC & the BA

One of the first things I did after deciding that: "Hey, I'm gonna open a Brewery" was to join the Brewer's Association. I bought books, read their website, etc. One of the next things was to join ProBrewer (I actually thought that ProBrewer was a part of the BA, at the time). I spent hours reading past threads.
    I also signed up for the first CBC, a month or so later. I was a kid in a candy store: the vendors, the other brewers. I remember to this day that Ken Grossman (actually Ken Grossman himself) sat down at the same table where I was eating lunch. I could only mumble "hi."
    For me it was huge. I went a day early and did the brewery tours. That was great. I had toured many breweries before, but as a drinker and a tourist. Not as: how tall is your ceiling, how big is that tank, etc.
    I don't remember what it cost, but I gained many contacts, friends and tons of info. One of the most random and best was the TTB booth. They gave me the best advice. I caught them at a slow time and we talked and talked. Several suggestions they gave me, in my opinion, made my application both fast (last day in July 2010 to GABF in mid-September 2010) and easy.
    I am a fan of both the BA and the CBC.
    Jeff Schrag
    Mother's Brewing Co.
    Springfield, Missouri

Comment

well I cannot give you a price I will say that it is worth every penny. I went to the one in Chicago and was blown away at the information I obtained. I got in a limo cause it was cheaper than a cab for some reason and shared a ride with Matt from Firestone Walker. Amazing who you meet and greet and everyone I met was humble and willing to talk. Nothing like waiting in a beer line when Meier from Rogue is in front of you and Oliver from Brooklyn just walked past you. This was my first CBC and I was speechless.

Comment

I have to agree with everything mentioned above. We went to the CBC2011 and I learned so much information just by doing the tours and during the classes it was worth every penny. Everyone was willing to talk about anything and the collective amount of knowledge and experience there isn't something you can find in any other way. Oh yeah there might be awesome beer all around also.

Comment

Great minds think alike

I came searching for a CBC thread solely for this reason. I wasn't sure if I was worthy - small nano start up, in the process of finding a location. Am I too early? But now I think there's no such time as too early...

Comment

I think it is most definitely worth it for start-ups. You can meet vendors, get realistic pricing, and compare different products. It helps both you out with vendors if they can remember a face and a conversation when you call later. The seminars can be hit or miss. But the trade show, and the informal hanging out with other brewers, is invaluable.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

This is really good feedback to know. I'm in the process of forming a business plan, and maybe this would be a good investment for that task.
              Kevin Shertz
              Chester River Brewing Company
              Chestertown, MD

Comment

Well worth it

The prices are up now and I can say it is well worth it.
                I went last year and am close to pulling the trigger on a nano startup with plans to expand in 1-2 years. The trade show alone was great.
                Of course, the more prepared you are going into it, the more you'll gain from it.

That being said, I may not go again this year because I hope to be in the thick of it by then, but I'll probably hit the next one.

Comment

We are in the same boat. I would love to go this year but we will be close to brewing by then and every dollar counts when we are starting up. Going last year was worth it. We plan on going next year for sure.

Comment

Bumping this thread!

Does anyone else have thoughts on new start ups with a tight budget attending the CBC. Is it worth the money/investment? Did it help you with your business plan and ultimately make your business/brewery better?

Thanks in advance guys!
                    Nate Cornett
                    Yellow Springs Brewery
                    Yellow Springs, OH

Comment

Working...
                    X