Plate chiller problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate chiller problem

We are a new brewery. We are having difficulty chilling our wort. Our plate exchanger has 4.5" x 25" plates. We have 79 plates which makes up 9.5" when compressed together on the exchanger.

Our wort at 205 degrees. City water is 50 degrees. After wort goes though the exchanger, it is 104 degrees. The cooling water has only risen to 65 degrees.

We cannot figure out how to get a better temperature exchange. My experience is that it should be closer to 70 degree wort and 140 degree cooling water.

What gives? We don't know what else to try.

Thanks,

Rich

What is your wort flow-rate?
    Chris Enegren
    www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

We have our pump set at a trickle. So slow that it will probably take longer than an hour to transfer 5bl. Our pump valve is open about 10%.

Rich

Comment

Is water flow in the opposite direction of wort flow?

I know, but Ya gotta ask...

Do you pre-chill the heat exchanger before beginning wort flow?

I hate it when things don't work!!

But, I love making them work as intended!!

Comment

Used? New? When was the last time it was confirmed as working?

Comment

It is new equipment. We turn chiller water on for a minute before opening wort valve. I guess we could try to pre chill longer. I still can't figure out why discharge water is only 65.

R

Comment

The chiller that came with our system had been monky'd with at a previous brewery....we had to disassemble, and flip one plate around. It was a painful process, and it took three different times (EDIT breaking down again, and flipping plates, I think one of the center ones was wrong, we have a two stage) test cooling just hot water to get the last 30 degrees. Wee break our chiller down twice a year now, and it is not nearly as terrifying, though it does create an anxious feeling deep and my gut and i still procrastinate when it is time. Mostly now I worry about damaging a gasket, as the chiller manufacturer listed is no longer in business, and we have no back up gaskets, though I know brewery gaskets could probably help us in pinch. (And we could remove a couple of the redundant plates and still get the performance we need.)

Your water in, is plenty cold. I assume the manufacturer is unwilling/able to advise?
              Last edited by SRB; 12-29-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I just got a schematic, so we should be able to figue it out tomorrow. I will post result.

R

Comment

I know I'm asking the stupid questions but to me that sounds like either a flow directions for the water is off if wort and water are in the same direction then you wont get your cooling. The other thing I can think of is that there is a plate in backwards or that your exchanger isn't 2 stage, and with that many plates I think it should be at least 2 stage.
                  Manuel

Comment

Like has been said check flow direction. If it is new, contact the company you purchased it from as well. THey should have insight to shat is up as well. If you are set up right and you are only trickling out and still not right the exchanger may not be the right size for what your needs are.
                    Joel Halbleib
                    Partner / Zymurgist
                    Hive and Barrel Meadery
                    6302 Old La Grange Rd
                    Crestwood, KY
                    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Throttle your wort and water via valves after the heat exchanger. Leave the pump on full speed. Don't assume your liquid (water or wort) will 'naturally' fill the channels in the plate pack.

Could be (with your current set up) that plate pack is not properly full of liquid.

By throttling after the exchanger (i usually rapidly open and close valves a few time each at beginning of cool in), you will ensure the plate pack is full of liquid.

By throttling before the exchanger, the liquid will take the easiest path through which will usually not 'fill' the plate pack.

Try it.

Good luck.

Pax.

Liam
                      Last edited by liammckenna; 01-03-2012, 07:46 AM.
                      Liam McKenna
                      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I second that. On exit, have a thermometer immediately followed by a throttling valve.
                        Pete Broyles
                        Riverport Brewing Co
                        Clarkston, WA

Comment

That is a great idea. I think that is part of the problem. I will report back.

Thanks,

Rich

Comment

Nothing has worked. We have determined that the chiller is too small for our 7 barrel brewery. If a smaller brewery needs a 74 plate heat exchanger, it is for sale.

Here is a link to the chiller. Before we added 25 plates.

I have $3000 in it. Make me an offer. It is has bee used three times.

Rich

Comment

If you have a way of measuring (or approximating) your flow rates for both water and wort it shouldn't be hard to plug it all into a thermo equation and double check whether or not you have enough area at a theoretical level. If you determine you should have more than enough area you should definitely do some more troubleshooting rather than selling it.

Comment

Working...
                              X