glycol beer line system for nano fermenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
    Your "hot" side should be open to the glycol reservoir, so pressure there isn't the problem. My worry would be that someone will forget to open the bypass between the two loops when no cooling is being called for by the FVs, thus causing a pressure problem on the cold side, which now has no outlet. Our line chiller units don't seem to have any kind of pressure switch on the PD pumps, as the unit is intended to be used with open lines, so they could easily build enough pressure to rupture lines and spill all the glycol onto the floor.

If someone were to accidentally close a ball valve on the hot side of the FVs, this could also rupture a cooling jacket--very expensive to fix.

A bypass regulator will allow excess pressure to move directly from the cold side to the hot side, keeping line pressure within safe limits.
    I use a simple ball valve opened part way as a byass on my 4 fermenter homebrewing glycol setup and have been running it for a few years without issue I use simple blue discharge hose wrapped around my stainless conicals and covered with foil faced bubble wrap (2 layers) No issues although I like the idea of using an actual bypass/pressure relief valve for this. I dont touch the valves on the hot side of my manifold so the only possible issue would be a clog. I have my manifold pump setup with a DPST switch so the main pump comes on and off with the opening and closing of one or more of the solenoid valves.

Comment

how loud?

We are exploring this setup for our small brewery. We have 3-4 bbl unitanks and 3 3bbl ferns. All of these are single wall with internal coils. The brewery is in a small building (1300 sq ft) with tasting room attached. If these are in the back of the building are they too loud for people to be hanging out in the front of the building and not be put off by the noise of them? The floor plan is pretty open. I'm thinking 2 - 3/4 hp's with extra pump. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X