glycol beer line system for nano fermenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    Pro Refrigeration also have a very affordable 3/4 HP chiller called Chill&Flow.

Cheers!

Dan Strömberg
    Cooling Market Segment Manager
    Georg Fischer LLC
    Phone: +1 714 368 4196
    Fax: +1 714 368 4197
    Mobile: +1 951 642 2339
    Dan.Stromberg@georgfischer.com

GF Piping Systems
    9271 Jeronimo Rd., Irvine, CA. 92618
    United States
    GF Piping Systems is the leading flow solutions provider across the world. We enable the safe and sustainable transport of fluids. Our business is driven by maintaining industry-leading sustainability levels, innovating through digitally enabled solutions, and investing in a culture built on performance, learning, and caring.

Comment

Those guys are nice and have a proper glycol pump for higher flow rate, BUT are twice the price. The point of this thread was to shave every dollar off the budget for nano-startups. For a two chiller setup you'd be saving $4,000 with the setup described using draft line chillers and that goes a long way for nanos with little startup capital. For what you would pay for two of the Prochiller 3/4 you could go ahead and get a 3HP and have a nicer setup.

Comment

I hope it's not out of place for me to post this here but I'm selling an 11 month old 3/4 HP chiller (the one mentioned 2 posts up). I have a post in the classifieds.

Comment

I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of purchasing either one 3/4 pro chiller chill and flow unit or two of the 3/4 rapid wholesale unites with the extra pump for each. Any opinions? This would be to control temps on 4 3Bbl fermentation tanks no brites my brites are single wall and in a cold room. Ultimately it would be great to have a touch of room to add another one or two 3bbl Fvs.

Comment

Originally posted by LBBC View Post
            I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of purchasing either one 3/4 pro chiller chill and flow unit or two of the 3/4 rapid wholesale unites with the extra pump for each. Any opinions? This would be to control temps on 4 3Bbl fermentation tanks no brites my brites are single wall and in a cold room. Ultimately it would be great to have a touch of room to add another one or two 3bbl Fvs.
            Thoughts anyone?

Comment

This setup can be done with a bcs-460 and one 1/3 or 1/2 chiller w one procon pump

We currently have 3 x 3bbl fermenters utilizing the first in / last out method. This requires solenoids such as those sold by gwkent, a pressure reducer as the proconns natural pressure would damage a glycol jacket and last but not least a BCS-460 to automate the solenoids. I will be building another one in the next week and will post some follow up info.

Comment

resurrection?

anymore input from all the people who were on board to build a loop for multiple tanks with the procon pump and 3/4 chiller? i want to build a loop with 8 tanks, 7 1bbl non jacketed and 1 2bbl jacketed.. the pump is really what i cant wrap my head around. the 1bbl tanks are 3/8 immersion coil so pressure is no problem with them, but im worried about the pressure in the jacket of the 2bbl. But i'm also worried that the procon pump might not even be able to push that much glycol?

Comment

Originally posted by GoodNewsBrewing View Post
                  anymore input from all the people who were on board to build a loop for multiple tanks with the procon pump and 3/4 chiller? i want to build a loop with 8 tanks, 7 1bbl non jacketed and 1 2bbl jacketed.. the pump is really what i cant wrap my head around. the 1bbl tanks are 3/8 immersion coil so pressure is no problem with them, but im worried about the pressure in the jacket of the 2bbl. But i'm also worried that the procon pump might not even be able to push that much glycol?
                  We're running 450' tapline chiller, 18g bath, 3/4 hp pump on 8 x 2bbl stout ferms with coils. All through a home-grown pex loop/manifold. Like you, the pressure in the coils is a non-issue. We have a pressure gauge at the end of the in/start or return with ball valve we use to control the back pressure. I would say maybe consider 2 options... option 1, if the 2bbl is in the same loop, isolate it behind it's own valve and gauge for piece of mind. Option 2, get a second pump for the chiller and have it service the 2bbl exclusively. Again, with it's own valve and gauge.

We have a BCS controlled ferm panel servicing these tanks. If you're interested I can send pics.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallCraftBrew View Post
                    We're running 450' tapline chiller, 18g bath, 3/4 hp pump on 8 x 2bbl stout ferms with coils. All through a home-grown pex loop/manifold. Like you, the pressure in the coils is a non-issue. We have a pressure gauge at the end of the in/start or return with ball valve we use to control the back pressure. I would say maybe consider 2 options... option 1, if the 2bbl is in the same loop, isolate it behind it's own valve and gauge for piece of mind. Option 2, get a second pump for the chiller and have it service the 2bbl exclusively. Again, with it's own valve and gauge.

We have a BCS controlled ferm panel servicing these tanks. If you're interested I can send pics.
                    Nice!! i would love to see some pics actually! good idea about the separate pump for the single jacketed tank. I just wonder what the best option would be. the jacketed tank would be furthest away if that matters.

what kind of crash temps/times are you seeing with your set up?

Comment

Nice!! i would love to see some pics actually! good idea about the separate pump for the single jacketed tank. I just wonder what the best option would be. the jacketed tank would be furthest away if that matters.

what kind of crash temps/times are you seeing with your set up?
                      Here is what it looked like on paper. I went with motorized ball valves instead of solenoid to prevent hammering. I also ditched the temp probe on the loop because I really only check the temp on the bath itself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	glycol_ferms.png
Views:	1
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	191736

Here is what it looked like shortly before finishing up the temp probe connections to the BCS panel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ferms_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	191737

With the bath set at 28, I can get from 68-70 to 36 in about 4-5 hours. I can crash 2 ferms at a time in about 8 hours.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

Comment

looks awesome! i just worry about the times where im crashing multiple tanks at once or crashing tanks from ferm. temp while trying to maintain crash temps on other tanks. right now im using 2 3/8hp chillers to service 8 1bbl non jacketed unitanks with individual loops. i want to free up some floor space to fit a 2bbl jacketed tank and have it work off the same loop, but i think the 3/4 hp chiller and pump isnt going to cut it. even though its a much smaller investment than a larger outdoor chiller i still want it to work when its all said and done!

edit: also what kind of pressure is the system producing on your gauge?
                        Last edited by GoodNewsBrewing; 05-28-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Smallcraft: Nice looking ferm hall!

One thing I'd change before you blow some lines is to replace the ball valve between the cold and hot sides of your loop with a bypass regulator. Those chiller packs use positive-displacement pumps, and can really build some pressure.
                          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

looks awesome! i just worry about the times where im crashing multiple tanks at once or crashing tanks from ferm. temp while trying to maintain crash temps on other tanks. right now im using 2 3/8hp chillers to service 8 1bbl non jacketed unitanks with individual loops. i want to free up some floor space to fit a 2bbl jacketed tank and have it work off the same loop, but i think the 3/4 hp chiller and pump isnt going to cut it. even though its a much smaller investment than a larger outdoor chiller i still want it to work when its all said and done!

edit: also what kind of pressure is the system producing on your gauge?
                            It can easily maintain ferm temps across 6 other tanks with 2 crashing. The only thing I avoid doing is trying to use the glycol to get me to pitching temp when I have other ferms crashing. I'll dial back my pump to make sure I'm knocking out at pitching temp coming out of the hx.

It's a 15 PSI guage. After playing around I found that at about a 45 degree angle on the ball valve, I'll never exceed 14ish PSI.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
                              Smallcraft: Nice looking ferm hall!

One thing I'd change before you blow some lines is to replace the ball valve between the cold and hot sides of your loop with a bypass regulator. Those chiller packs use positive-displacement pumps, and can really build some pressure.
                              Thank you! First time giving it a go, just happy it's working.

We're not exceeding 15 PSI on the loop (at least on the cold side), I don't think I really thought about the hot side. Is there a chance it's really high enough on that side to worry? It would be easy enough to throw a bypass regulator in there.

Comment

Your "hot" side should be open to the glycol reservoir, so pressure there isn't the problem. My worry would be that someone will forget to open the bypass between the two loops when no cooling is being called for by the FVs, thus causing a pressure problem on the cold side, which now has no outlet. Our line chiller units don't seem to have any kind of pressure switch on the PD pumps, as the unit is intended to be used with open lines, so they could easily build enough pressure to rupture lines and spill all the glycol onto the floor.

If someone were to accidentally close a ball valve on the hot side of the FVs, this could also rupture a cooling jacket--very expensive to fix.

A bypass regulator will allow excess pressure to move directly from the cold side to the hot side, keeping line pressure within safe limits.
                                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
                                X