Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasted grain addition after conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasted grain addition after conversion?

I have been hearing some people say that the recommendation now is to add roasted grains to a mash after conversion, before vorlauf. This is new to me and I have never seen anyone use this method. Has anyone here done it? Opinions?

The source of the info was traced back to Mary Anne at Briess, I know I never heard anything like that from her...

I have done this brewing a Schwarzbier. I would step mash using some of the roasted malt then transfer to the lauter tun, then add the rest of the roasted grains. From my experience you get all or most of the color from the grains with only a small portion of the roasted character. So depending on what you are brewing it maybe an option. Obviously if you are brewing a porter or stout and want the roasted character don't do it this way.

Jim Lieb
    Rocky River Brewing Co.

Comment

Yup. That works good! We mash in, immediately begin vorlauf, vorlauf 30 min, stir roasted malt into the top of the bed, vorlauf 30 more min, lauter.

Comment

I have done something similar for years, as a step masher I add dark grains (above120L) to the mash 10-15 minutes before mash out, allowing some conversion time before mash out/vorlaugh. I think it softens the flavors and reduces huskyness. The stouts are smooth and bold and the swarzbier is very nice with this approach, which I call late mash dark malt additions. A good freind and homebrewer taught me this trick back in '97.

Comment

According to the latest e-mail from BYO, Greg Noonan did this for years with one of his "black IPA's", can't remember the name of his brew.

Comment

That's what I do with our alt, add the malt right at vorlauf. Of course, I also have forgotten it a couple time which can be a real frustrating PITA. Probably just easier to use sinmar or at least keep some on hand just in case of a flub.
            Keith Yager
            Head Brewer/Owner
            Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
            www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

We do this with Carafa malt in our black "IPA"
              Seem to get most of the color and less roast flavor.
              __
              Kushal Hall
              Common Space Brewery
              Hawthorne, CA

Comment

Working...
              X