How to band Goodyear Nutriflo Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to band Goodyear Nutriflo Hoses

I bought some Nutriflo hose (http://breweryparts.com/index.php/eq...iflo-hose.html) but I can't seem to get them banded to where they hold a seal. I have a Band-it hose bander but even that can't get the hoses tightened down on the barb tight enough. Anybody else had this issue. I'm going to be using these hoses for transfers on the cold side.

Cheers,
    Kaskaskia Brewing Company

Subscribed...
    Nate Cornett
    Yellow Springs Brewery
    Yellow Springs, OH

Comment

You using stainless or galvanized bands? Are your hose ends straight sided ferrules or ribbed (for brewing pleasure)? The stainless bands are very difficult to get tight, and break.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I got the Nutriflo hose from GW Kent along with the long barbs, not the short ones. I inserted the barbs and left about 1/4" - 3/8" short so there's room for the clamp when you clamp up the hose to something. Then I banded it with two SS hose clamps. I put one hose clamp up near the barb end and one hose clamp right over the very first of the barb's ridges, so that I would reduce or eliminate the voids where bacteria could grow.

Then I tightened the living f___ out of them with a socket wrench (not a screwdriver). Use swear words. If you bust a hose clamp, back it off a couple pounds and try a new hose clamp for a buck. GW Kent sells them, just get them sized to the O.D. of the hose, not the I.D. Don't ask me how I know this.

Lastly, I got some large I.D. PVC shrink tubing and sleeved the end of the hose and the clamps so I wouldn't slice my hand with the clamps. That last bit is optional but it makes life so much better!

The first time I did this, I didn't tighten down the hose clamps well enough and learned a valuable object lesson about water pressure. I also learned how to use a broom handle with a hook screwed into the end to fish a washdown sprayer out of my kettle.
        Last edited by TwelveBarBrews; 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Ooh good point. I agree that the barbs must be ribbed for brewing pleasure.

Comment

I concur with TwelveBarBrews to use long barbs and two clamps per fitting. Make sure that you are using the correct size of barbs for the hose.
            Also be aware of the heat restrictions using that hose.
            Mike Lanzarotta
            Commercial Real Estate Broker
            finding space for breweries in Southern California
            former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

If you get the hoses warm it loosens them up a little bit allows the clamp to really squeeze down.
              Troy Robinson
              Quirk Brewing
              Walla Walla

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I made sure to get the barbed ones because I do enjoy them better. I tried just using the standard worm clamps and double banding it thinking that they had a chance of working and couldn't get them tight enough. Maybe I will give it one more chance and see if I can put some muscle into it. Or I should swear more and maybe that's the key. I also tried using some stainless steel Band it clamps and double banded them and it's safe to say that they pissed me off to no end. They worked like a champ on the Vintner hose but on this Nutriflo hoses they would either snap before I was able to clamp them or they would leak under the pressure. Then once I discovered they were leaking I had a hell of a time cutting the bands back off to try it again. I decided to give it another shot but just in case I can't get the hose to hold a seal, I ordered some of this: http://breweryparts.com/index.php/eq...ovic-hose.html. It's not vacuum rated but it's the same material as the Nutriflo hose and I'm fairly confident I can get it to seal since there isn't a spiral coil to it. That Nutriflo hose has already kept me from brewing my first batch so hopefully this will at least be my safety net if I can't get it to seal up again. I like the idea of heating the hose up and that might be the key to it. Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers,

Comment

I solved this problem last week. Same hose, same curse words, same ribbed pleasure. I broke many hose clamps including ones branded "Pro Master" from O'Reilly. They were not pro nor master. I could not keep prime on my pump, it would suck in too much air.

Being in a metro area, I called around to a few "hose and fittings" companies and had three hoses banded with thick permanent stainless steel clamps. About $25 for six of them, 10 minute wait.
                  Nat West

Comment

Thanks for the info. I should have just done that from the beginning but I'm glad you got it to work. I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,

Originally posted by revnatscider
                    I solved this problem last week. Same hose, same curse words, same ribbed pleasure. I broke many hose clamps including ones branded "Pro Master" from O'Reilly. They were not pro nor master. I could not keep prime on my pump, it would suck in too much air.

Being in a metro area, I called around to a few "hose and fittings" companies and had three hoses banded with thick permanent stainless steel clamps. About $25 for six of them, 10 minute wait.

Comment

Working...
                    X