Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date Coder Options

Howdy folks,

We're about join the ranks of the bottling and I would like to add date codes on our bottles as soon as we reasonably can, and am looking for suggestions on a reasonably priced option.
    We have a 4 head Meheen and will apply pressure sensitive labels with a M&D PSL 3000 labeler.
    Altogether I expect us to operate in the 25bpm range, so the coder would have to keep up with that. Thanks!

Cheers and beers,
    Drew
    Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Videojets are reliable if kept scrupulously clean.

DO NOT consider anything from Domino. Garbage from the factory, garbage immediately after the factory rep comes to fix them. We actually put 2 date codes on every bottle as a backup so when one machine goes down we at least have one code. Translation: 2 separate machines per line. On the line I've got Dominos on, we actually had to pull out an ancient Videojet and start putting 3 codes on every bottle (2 Dominos and 1 VJ)....and the only code you'll ever see is the one from the VJ.

Comment

I 2nd the Videojet. However I must say, I've worked with a few different models and the new versions are considerably more reliable and easy to use. I'd highly suggest buying a new machine if you can swing it. They are virtually maintenance free.
      Jason Raimondi
      Anderson Valley Brewing

Comment

Got a model #? As much as I like my VJs I'm still pulling the heads about once per shift for a cleaning, and wastewater isn't thrilled about all that makeup fluid going down the drain.

Comment

We are running the 1220. It performs its own maintenance cycles every time you fire it up and shut it down. My PM's are to clean the head once a month. Never any problems.
          Jason Raimondi
          Anderson Valley Brewing

Comment

Ah, that's the rub. Mine never shut down.

Comment

VideoJet

Originally posted by drewseslu
              Howdy folks,

We're about join the ranks of the bottling and I would like to add date codes on our bottles as soon as we reasonably can, and am looking for suggestions on a reasonably priced option.
              We have a 4 head Meheen and will apply pressure sensitive labels with a M&D PSL 3000 labeler.
              Altogether I expect us to operate in the 25bpm range, so the coder would have to keep up with that. Thanks!

Cheers and beers,
              Drew
              We have 2 VideoJet printers. A 1710 for bottles and a 1210 for cans. They are very reliable and our local service is good.

Comment

@Darel: So you're packaging 24 hours a day? Or you just don't turn them off? I know the older models would always be left on. They also don't have this feature. At any rate, you can force the cleaning cycle when ever you want. I only open the head once a month.
                Jason Raimondi
                Anderson Valley Brewing

Comment

coder options

Both Domino and Videojet utilize the same technology. The key is set up and maintenance. Both use cartridges to keep from making a mess with ink, both use a stream of ink that must be kept aligned and the head cleaned periodically or when they start to distort codes.
                  Low volume users have the option of inexpensive HP based systems that require zero maintenance and are easy to program and deal with.

Comment

• breweric
                    breweric commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you expand on this a bit? What is HP based, and what brands/models would fall under this category for low volume users? Thanks!
                Working...
                X