% water through carbon filter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• % water through carbon filter...

Ive been reading up on brewery water use and I've found the #'s that it takes 5-10 bbl of water to make 1 bbl of beer, but I couldn't find the ratio of brew use vs. general use in the brewery....

I'm trying to get a carbon filter sized for my 5000/yr bbl brewery and I was wondering if anybody had any info on what kind of % of the total water usage needs to be ran through the Carbon Filter.

We will be running a Cask canning line. Is it better to have the sani/rinse water carbon filtered?

Does only the actual brew liquor need to be filtered for chlorine? Are most people using their HLT as a hot water source for their BBT and FV cleaning?

Cheers!

No love?

I'm just wondering if people are using their HLT for all hot water cleaning in the brewery or are they running that out of a standard (non carbon filtered) water source.

Are people using tap water for rinsing their cans on their cask line too?

Cheers!

Comment

All right I'll chime in. I use filtered water for brewing and almost all cleaning. I use water form the HLT for everything, brewing, cleaning, etc. The only time I don't use filtered water for cleaning is when, after brewing I use knockout water recovered into the HLT to clean the brewhouse. I haven't had any problems with it. Also on occasion regular hot unfiltered, unsoftened water is used to clean fermenters/brites via the cip unit, also with no problems. To tell you the truth the only reason I use filtered water for cleaning via the HLT is because the fill line happens to go through the filter and it's too much of a pain to run another line or hose or whatever. The brewhouse and HLT are steam heated and I also run filtered and softened water to the boiler supply. How much does it use? I have no idea, but not a lot since it is a closed system. On the subject of soft water, I have been told by chem suppliers to use soft water for cleaning as it increases effectiveness.
      I haven't gotten around to making that happen mostly because I have good results without it.
      Luch Scremin
      Engine 15 Brewing Co.
      luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

We have a tankless water heater with our filter plubmed into it so we use fitlered water to clean/rinse stainless. But I have recently used knockout water to brew with even using Camden tablets and there haven't been any issues.

My only concern is long term contact of Chlorine on the SS, but we have pretty dodgey SS.
        Eric O'Connor

Co-founder/Brewmaster
        Thorn Street Brewery
        North Park, San Diego, CA

Comment

Everything should be filtered. Except that water you use to hose down the entrance to your brewery. You're not saving much by excluding any water. Go for 100%.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X