How much head space is too much for a brite tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much head space is too much for a brite tank

We are piecing together a 2bbl brew system that we hope to also do double batches on occasionally. We want to get a couple of 2 and 5 bbl fermentors but wanted to only get a single 5bbl brite tank to carbonate before kegging. If we only did a single 2bbl batch would this be too much head space or is that not an issue in a brite tank like it would be in a fermentor?

Not really much of an issue in either case. Fermenters are routinely half-batched in lots of small breweries. Only issue in a bright is the increased use of CO2 required to get your bright to same pressure as fermenter spunding pressure if you start with non-pressurized tank. To avoid that issue, crawl over your bright tank to make sure it is put together in a sanitary manner. No threads, no hiding places for bacteria. After emptying the bright, wash with an acid cleaner and sanitize under pressure. No reason to throw away perfectly serviceable CO2. Keep a watchful eye on bacterial counts on your bright and disassemble to clean and sanitize on a routine basis. Good luck.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

+1 to gitchegumee

The only downside is the waste in C02 to make up for the lack of volume. But otherwise you should be good to go. If you are force carbonating though just make sure the carb stone is down far enough for the smaller batches.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer_Nut
        +1 to gitchegumee

The only downside is the waste in C02 to make up for the lack of volume. But otherwise you should be good to go. If you are force carbonating though just make sure the carb stone is down far enough for the smaller batches.
        This ^ I agree with everything they both wrote

Comment

As long as you purge all the oxygen out of the tank before racking, I agree.

Joe

Comment

Thanks for the information -- this makes things so much easier for us to expand. I hated the idea of blowing another 4k on a second small bright tank ... it sounds like the biggest problem I will have is spelling 'bright' tank correctly!

Comment

You're good

Originally posted by jcwilde1 View Post
              Thanks for the information -- this makes things so much easier for us to expand. I hated the idea of blowing another 4k on a second small bright tank ... it sounds like the biggest problem I will have is spelling 'bright' tank correctly!
              It's 'Brite' in British brewing parlance

Comment

Working...
              X