Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of bottler pump to use on a 55 BPM line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of bottler pump to use on a 55 BPM line?

Hello pro-brewer community--

I was always under the impression that a double diaphram pump was the way to go to push product into a filler bowl rather than a centrifugal pump. As we are looking into lower and lower airs, I was wondering if people have had problems with keeping packaged airs lower with one pump vs the other. Nice thing about the diaphram pumps is that they are much cheaper to regulate (simple air regulator). Electrical pumps need expensive VFDs and potentially can disturb the product when operating at high RPMs

Thoughts?

Currently we use a wilden SS 1.5". Works pretty well and can fill the bowl in about 2 minutes under 35 psi if need be....

Cheers
    DEREK

<<<<<<<<<<<<<bump>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Comment

I have heard that a positive displacement pump is the best for this purpose, but would also like to hear some other opinions from those with first hand experience.

Christian

Comment

bump for some more experienced answers

Comment

Every filler I have ever worked on, or seen for that matter, used a stainless steel centrifugal pump. Keg fillers, bottle, and can lines.
          Jason Raimondi
          Anderson Valley Brewing

Comment

We use a centrifugal pump and a VFD. Slow the pump down until its speed just keeps the bowl filled.

I would not use a positive displacement pump, too much risk of overpressuring your bowl if the pump kept running.

Maybe diaphram pumps have changed a lot. The ones I worked on in a previous life had all kinds of nooks and crannies and four sets of seals that needed to work.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Flexible impeller pump (Jabsco), yes with VFD. Very easy on the beer.
              Best I've used or seen so far.

Comment

Working...
              X