Hot Hefe yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Hefe yeast

Brewed a hefe with new pitch of WLP300 Hefe Ale yeast. Brew smooth; no worries. Knocked out at 78 (can't get much colder in the summertime) and set fermenter for 72. Fermenter never kicked on; came back in about 15 hrs later to find it at 92.

It has pretty much finished fermenting at 48 hrs. Lots of banana in the nose but sharp taste to the beer. Hefe is my LEAST favorite kind of beer and they all taste a little nasty to me, so this is proving a little hard to judge. Plan on a 2-3 day rest before crashing it and hoping it will mellow during conditioning....

Any thoughts?

you can blow co2 throught the bottom to blow of some of the off flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011
      you can blow co2 throught the bottom to blow of some of the off flavors.

Thanks for the advice. How much CO2 and when? should it be done after the rest?

Comment

yes. are you leaving the blow of arm open durning the rest?

Comment

Sounds like a typical hefe ferment to me.... prob have some residual sulfur which should gas off or worst case you can scrub as mentioned but that will likely kill your head retention.

My advise... leave it as is till day 7 (w/ blowoff open or if you cap keep less than 2-4 psi and vent it every day) then crash and I can usually scrub out any sulfur during xfet to bbt if I "slam" it over with minimal pressure on bbt. I wouldn't however blow co2 into bottom of FV, if needed do it via carb stone in bbt.h
          Last edited by Jephro; 09-06-2012, 10:30 PM.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Working...
          X