Slot drain versus trench drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot drain versus trench drain?

In the midst of planning out our 15bbl/3000sqft brewery, and I've stumbled upon an interesting option for the floor drains we're planning to install within the next couple months. Wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on installing slot drains instead of the traditional trench drains.

Slot Drain provides drainage solutions that are durable, sanitary, aesthetically appealing, easy to clean, load class rated, corrosion and temperature resistant, and odour eliminating.

Anyone have these (or something similar) in your brewery? If so, any issues with either installation or maintenance?
    Ben Woodward

----

Haw River Farmhouse Ales
    Saxapahaw, NC 27340
    Web www.hawriverales.com

How do they handle solids? How would they be scrubbed? Looks perfect, for a car wash or packaging area.
    Cheers!
    David R. Pierce

Comment

I want to be able to put the end of a 1 1/2" hose into the drain at times, I don't think it would be possible with the slot.... Also, I have even had trench drains get stopped up sometimes with lots of heavy trub, thick yeast or masses of hops from the kettle, can't imagine how bad it could be with a slot... FMM, I would stick with a trench

Comment

I think a slot drain would work great if it was only liquids. BUT, we have a lot of chunky stuff going into our drain. I wouldn't want to fight with a drain along with all the other stuff going on in the brewery. Go with what has shown to work pretty well. Just my 2 cents..

Comment

Yeah, if you can't lift a grate and put the end of a 1 1/2" hose in the drain then it's no good, IMHO. I mean, I'm thinking about my keg washer. The drain line would just be blasting out (and potentially flailing!) all over the place if I couldn't stick it down in the trench catch basin.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I have never seen this type of drain before. It does have this in the description:

"Flush valves can be added, in order to flush the drain sections, keeping them clean, sanitary and sediment free"
            Mike Lanzarotta
            Commercial Real Estate Broker
            finding space for breweries in Southern California
            former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Slot drains are awesome. Until you are chasing a rolling triclamp gasket, and whoops! bye bye.

Screws, too.

Best floor I ever saw had a central crown, and trench drains along the perimeter.

Comment

Hm. That makes pretty good sense -- didn't consider the fact that anything that hits the floor, assuming it's designed properly, would most likely end up hitting that slot and disappearing (duh, that's the point, right? ). The company offers a little paddle you can insert sideways, then turn to push solids or to clean, but it looks like the kind of thing that doesn't work nearly as well as you'd hope.

Thanks for the replies. Still be interested in hearing from anyone who's specifically installed this drainage system (to find out more about the flush piping option and that funny little paddle), but we'll get traditional grated trench drains specc'ed out and quoted in the meantime.
                Ben Woodward

----

Haw River Farmhouse Ales
                Saxapahaw, NC 27340
                Web www.hawriverales.com

Comment

I have sold these drains to the food industry. The problem with these slotdrains is that some of them are poorly designed, meaning that you can not see if the drains are clean, or not. You have special tools which you can put in the drain, rotata 90 degr, and push the dirt out.

The advantage is that you can discharge the same amount of water as any other drain since the drain outlet is the same, It can hold only less water. Other advantage is that these are less expensive than a normal trench drain (please compare stainless steel with stainless steel and not with plastic / or polyconcrete drains. They can only carry very high loads.

The gratings on the trench drains are available in many different shapes. The more wider the channel is the more expensive the grating is since you need more steel to handle the loads.

Therefor in case of a wet area, do the following, make more outlets in the trench, this will double the capacity, and therefor you can make the trench less in width. Another advantage is that the trench can be less in height due to the double (or tripple, or what ever you want) outlets, and it will be easier with the concrete construction around it.

Comment

Viking here from Slot Drain Systems. One major thing to note about Slot Drain is that cleaning is one of our biggest advantages. Slot Drain can self flush and come with cleaning brushes that fit in the drain to make cleaning very easy. Not only do the brushes work great for cleaning as well as moving objects that fall in the drain into a catch basin attached to the system. As long as you have a catch basin anything that falls in the drain can be retrieved easily. I’d be happy to connect you with breweries in any state if anyone is interested to speak to someone using the system?

Viking Kristjansson
                    855-497-7508
                    viking@slotdrainsystems.com
                    Slot Drain® Brewery Drain Systems are designed to reduce bacteria and save cleaning time, while handling harsh temperatures and chemicals without corroding.
                    Last edited by VikingSD; 05-22-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X