Who wants to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to play?

I am holding a VERY basic taste evaluation seminar for our staff. Can you add to my list of commercial examples? Keep the brands simple and well known. They are just sticking their toe in the water:

3 methyl - 2 - butenyl : Heineken
    acetaldehyde : Natty Boh
    isoamyl acetate :
    diacetyl : Newcastle Nut Brown Ale
    dms : Rolling Rock
    t2n : (something imported maybe?)

siebel has a beer dosing kit...
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

I would definitely recommend going with the dosing kit and having a control that you can taste for reference. There is also a Cicerone class that goes through the various off-flavors and discusses them in some detail.

If you are going to stick with your original plan I would try and find the most neutral base beers that exhibit the character you are looking for.
      Steve Sanderson
      RiverWalk Brewing Co.
      Newburyport, MA

Comment

I am using the dosing kits, I thought it would be neat to list examples of beers they might be familiar with that exhibit these flavors after we sample the spikes.

Comment

Anything from Shipyard has some pretty obvious Diacetyl. For Acetaldahyde, use beer that is young in your fv tanks. Or if you bottle condition, grab a bottle that was recently dosed (1 week or so).

Comment

off notes and blurp

If you need verbage about off notes and the like - check out Stuart Howe's Blog: http://brewingreality.blogspot.co.uk/ he's the head brewer of Sharps in Cornwall.
            Founder of London Brewers' Alliance | European Craft Sales Manager for SimplyHops.com | BrewWharf 2009/11 | Writes CAMRA's Homebrew Column | Opened Breakwater Brew Co | Get me @phillowry

Comment

Working...
            X