Mill Gap Setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
    Yeah it's interesting. Each kind of malt sounds different. I know when we're grinding light vs dark crystal, wheat vs barley, and when the grist case is full... All by the sound. Crystal in particular, much higher pitched, louder too.

Briess Carapils sounds like a hail storm on a tin roof!

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post

UPDATE: So we adjusted the mill to a couple different settings that looked in the range, then compared the grind side by side using both Gambrinus ESB and GW Pale Ale malt. Found one that looked best overall on visual inspection and used it. Got 85% efficiency on a 1.078 (19 plato) wort. The sifting screen showed up the next day and I ran that grist through using the Van Havig method from his Rock Bottom days (you can find a pdf of it here: http://tinyurl.com/andldef ). Rather than buy all the different screens we just used the #14 screen, then shook 3 minutes, weighed what went through and what stayed, looking for 70% on top, 30% on bottom. We got 67/33, which is ok by me. It was the finer grained GW Pale Ale, I expect it'll be 70-ish with the plumper (and moister) Gambrinus. (Seemed like those husks held together much better.) Brewday tomorrow, we'll see what we get.
      Your link doesn't work. Could you try to re-post it? I'm very interested in this as we haven't checked our mill in quite a while. In the past, we've sent grist samples off to Great Western and had them analyze them, but I'd rather do it in-house.

And thanks for the solder-trick tip! I've been using feeler gauges, and sure enough, they don't work very well.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Yeah looks like the link went down. Here's another version: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/vi...craft-brewers-
        Russell Everett
        Co-Founder / Head Brewer
        Bainbridge Island Brewing
        Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Thanks, Russell--that one works. Now to do some reading....
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Do you have to join the ASBC to get its procedure for measuring Grist ?

I'm hoping this procedure (using the sieves) is available without having to join the ASBC. Is there a link to the measurement procedure somehwre ?

Thanks,

Dan Darden
            Darden Consulting LLC

Originally posted by lhall View Post
            It's tough to use feeler gauges, since there is play in the bearings. One way to check is to run a soft piece of metal, like solder, through the mill and measure its thickness with calipers.

But the best way is to buy or borrow a set of sieves.

Comment

Well the point is there's the scientificated ASBC way, and there's this way, the quick and dirty way. But a 70/30ish split on a #14 shaker tray is more or less where you want to be. Also the second link is down it seems. Lamers.

We just checked our mill this morning actually. Amazing what a small adjustment on a mill not specifically designed for malted barley will do. A millimeter here and there was: 64/36, 67/33, 75/25.
              Last edited by Bainbridge; 09-16-2014, 09:32 AM.
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Addendum: Van gave the talk again at the CBC I guess, and the last MBAA District NW meeting (I know 'cause I watched that one) so you can look for the pdfs around. Or here, for as long as it holds.
                Russell Everett
                Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
                X