Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDD Squire Plus Keg Washer CO2 Supply

Hey all,

I have a IDD Keg Washer that is currently being installed and requires a 3/4" CO2 supply. We currently have a NuCO 500# tank with 1/4" outlets but this will not meet the demand of a 3/4" supply nor the demand of the washer itself.. Does anyone have any experience with this item? If so how have you dealt with the 3/4" supply and CO2 source? We are a brewpub operation so we do not have room for a large outdoor supply with a large outlet. IDD's tech support offered the solution of using a CO2 buffer tank but I am not sure this would work not to mention where to find said tank with and inlet and outlet of 3/4".....

Any thoughts or comments? I really appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Matthew Horney
    Brewmaster
    Old Rail Brewing Co.
    Mandeville, Louisiana

Buffer tanks

We use a standard 1/2 bbl keg as a buffer tank for our older IDD keg washer (and bottling line) due to our small CO2 supply line size and it works great for our application.

We use a standard keg coupler, two shut-off valves, and two female beer nut adapter to tri-clamp adapters, and two tri-clamp to bayonet fittings.

I would think that you could fabricate a 3/4 inch outlet (or a 1 inch tri-clamp outlet) from a standard keg with a regulator between the keg and keg washer. You could feed the keg at a slightly higher pressure with the 1/4 inch line, and regulate the lower 3/4 inch line pressure into your machine. Depending on the volume of CO2 demanded by your machine, you may not even need the higher pressure gas inlet/regulated outlet combination.

Comment

I have a Squire in my future so a question... this 1/2 bbl keg buffer tank is just fed from a regular CO2 cylinder?
      Nat West

Comment

My Squire Plus requires 30 psi at 20 scfm with a consumption of 1.75 scfm. We feed our buffer keg with about 30 psi from a 1/4 inch line in and out. We have a 500 lb tank feeding the whole system at 90 psi, but with the 1/4 inch line feeds we have noticed a volume flow issue when there is multiple users of CO2.

The result of inadequate volume/pressure to the IDD was a slight bit of residual sanitizer left after the keg cleaning cycle.

The buffer keg seems to combat this issue - The buffer keg allows the CO2 volume to recharge between uses so that there "seems to be" both adequate volume and pressure when the CO2 is demanded by the keg washer.

Someone with a better understanding of gas could determine whether a 1/2 bbl keg buffer size is adequate or not with the above requirements, but we do not have residual sanitizer or a noticeable oxidation problem with our keg beer so I am assuming that it is adequate.

Comment

Thanks so much for the response and discussion guys. I will certainly consider this solution. It sounds feasible so long as I can meet the demand. Your IDD requirements are similar to mine so it might work. It just has to have the flow so the machine can properly purge with in the time set by the controls....

Thanks again!

Matt

Comment

Working...
          X