Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lab Tests on Barrel Aged Beers

Hello,

I was wondering what types of lab tests are typically done on beers that are being aged in spirit barrels.

And also, what kind of tests are done on barrels that have been inoculated with wild yeast and/or other bacteria?

Basically, is there an effective way to monitor the progress of wild beers aside from sensory?

Cheers!

What does it matter besides flavor?

Comment

tests

For non-wild yeast/bacteria barrel aged beers, I like to plate them on LMDA to test for acid producing bacteria before blending and bottling.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaBrews
        What does it matter besides flavor?
        In case we decide to package it in bottles. Last thing I would want is someone paying $20 for a barrel aged beer of mine only to get a nice big diacetyl bomb instead.

Comment

Originally posted by fa50driver
          For non-wild yeast/bacteria barrel aged beers, I like to plate them on LMDA to test for acid producing bacteria before blending and bottling.
          Great, thanks for the feedback. Seems like a small price to pay to ensure quality.

Cheers.

Comment

Occasional pH and/or gravity (attenuation) checks could be useful to see how they are progressing, as well as showing which barrels may be troublesome.

I agree that microbiological testing is worthwile if they are not going to be filtered finely. Shelf life will be a factor with this too.
            Ash Hazell
            Head of Brewing
            Colonial Brewing Co, Australia

Comment

I've read of people making a really low-tech version of LMDA, with water, sugar, and chalk, and the agar powder you'd buy from an Asian grocer. You could make pounds of that for a few bucks.

Comment

Working...
              X