Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some issues with Wyeast 1214

Hey all,
    Don't get me wrong, I love Wyeast 1214 and I've brewed two successful commercial beers with it, however I'm currently dealing with a slightly off-putting amount of sulfur in our wit. We temp control the beer at approx 70*F, starting fermentation around 66. I do understand that sulfur is primarily temperature stress on the yeast, however that doesn't seem to be the issue here.
    Anyone else encounter this issue with this yeast? If so, how did you overcome it without letting it free-rise into the upper 70's? I've noticed significantly increased autolyzation when allowed to free-rise.
    Thanks for the input!
    Cheers

We used BSI530 (same as WLP530) in my last brewery on our Trippel and it would produce a lot of sulfur. We were starting it at 69 and then raising it to 72 after 24 hours. We would vent it during carbonation to scrub off the sulfur and that worked pretty well.

The interesting thing is that on the last batch our glycol system developed a bubble and the ferm temp went up to 76. That was actually the best tasting batch of that beer I tasted while working there. There was almost no sulfur character and the yeast bite that we normally had during the first 10 days wasn't there and it was only 2-3 days in. We also noticed dramatically increased sulfur character with this yeast when we were using a yeast nutrient.

Comment

I've used this yeast across aa wide range of conditions and never had this problem, but I am a big fan of ramping fermentation temps and have never come across an autolysis issue with it.
      Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

I've experienced the same thing, but only after gen. 2.
        I've since attributed it to yeast exhaustion/yeast stress as my original pitch was too low.
        Happened multiple times, but never on the first generation and rarely on the second.
        I normally under-pitch, but of late it's been a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Bob View Post
          I've experienced the same thing, but only after gen. 2.
          I've since attributed it to yeast exhaustion/yeast stress as my original pitch was too low.
          Happened multiple times, but never on the first generation and rarely on the second.
          I normally under-pitch, but of late it's been a problem.
          I think wy 1214 is a top cropping yeast. I you pull the yeast from the bottom of the tank, you are getting the inbred cells. the healthy yeast cells will always be on the top.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
            you are getting the inbred cells.
            Nice! I imagine the inbred cells cruising the fermenter and aggressively making higher alcohols while hurling racial slurs at the normal yeast cells.

I do agree most Belgian yeasts dont like bottom harvesting. You dont ever seem to get much either.

Comment

Working...
            X