Old threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old threads

I was reading a thread here from over a year ago called "Black IPA" when I stumbled on a few comments that made me laugh out loud. Somebody, while bemoaning the idea of even considering a style called "black" IPA said: "What's next, a black pilsner??". It made me think of the black pilsner that I tasted on the brewer's handle at Pyramid Brewing Co. in Seattle no less then 11 years ago. The idea of a black pils did seem odd but it was really one of the finest beers I've had the pleasure of quaffing. Another one said: "Can't those Northwesterners just be happy they have PNWA?"

Yes, we've been turning out our own versions of and pushing the limits of just about everything here in the NW for a LONG, LONG time. I might even go out on a limb and say: "If you come up with something entirely new, it has likely already been tried somewhere in Washington or Oregon".

I went down my own little personal avenue a few years ago and brewed every style I could possibly think of using only Belgian Ardennes yeast, just to see what would come of it. One of the finest IPA's I've tasted came from my own fermenter pitched with Ardennes. And a really nice Imperial stout (I called it Belgian Imperial stout, even though most folks couldn't detect the Ardennes yeast traits against all that roast character).

Experimentation rocks...

-Kev

A black pilsner? You mean, a Schwarzpils?

I don't think experimentation is stupid, but I do think taking credit for "inventing" a beer that's been brewed for 100+ years is, at best, fantastically ignorant.

Originally posted by Kev7555
    "If you come up with something entirely new, it has likely already been tried somewhere in Washington or Oregon".
    "If you think you've come up with something entirely new, it's probably not even new, but it's likely someone in Washington or Oregon tried to take credit for it anyway" - FTFY
    Last edited by nateo; 11-17-2012, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Wow. I certainly did not take credit for anything anyone else has done. I was simply making a tongue in cheek remark about how many different thins have been seen in this neck of the woods. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Comment

Working...
      X