Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Tandem Labeler Mechanical Artists

To all of my fellow World Tandemites,

I would like to take this opportunity to find any of you who have any knowledge of the actual pieces of the World Tandem Labelers. These machines were developed before the concept of product obsolescence was created and are intended to run forever with proper maintenance and care. Currently I am in process of blueprinting and reverse engineering a few of my high wear parts, and I would like to eventually offer those to my fellow World Tandemites creating a sort of World Tandem Hive of Knowledge. This being said, if there are currently any blueprints out there, that might save me some time (and money) anyone would like to share, that would be most excellent. Currently I have the available Patent Dwgs, and a photocopied version of the manual from the Economic Machinery Company.
    In addition to making some blueprints, and reverse engineering a few things, I am still searching for the "reference drawings" R-8861, R-5360 and R-13462 that are supposedly found under the back cover of my 20 year old photo copied version of the manual. The current parts on my list are: Aluminium label pickers, Bottle feed spacing and feeding wheels, glue roller (brass), and the transfer roller (rubber). Now I do understand that the labelers are not all identical, but if we get a form and function, fit of parts can be adjusted accordingly.

Anyone interested? I have a feeling we are all looking for something that one of us has or has knowledge of. Please contact me here or Email me @ BJMJOS@gmail.com

Brandon J. Mjos
    Mechanical Designer/Machinist/Gunsmith/Consultant
    Karben4 Brewing
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Seems we spoke about is on the phone a few weeks ago, didn't we?

We're in the middle of a bottle run right now, but when I get a chance, Ill get some measurements off our machine.

The aluminum label picker arms are going to be different for different labels, and I've modified ours to work better. The original design had holes for the label cage finger to go through, which would wear the fingers out if not perfectly aligned. I cut slots to allow for less critical alignment.

The roller in the glue box on our machine is stainless steel. I'll put the calipers to it next week.

Getting a new transfer roller has been a problem. I need to get a durometer reading from our existing, BTS, roller, or have someone with more expertise take a look at it. Once again, the roller dimensions will depend on your labels and picker arms.

BTW--our labeler is in a nearly unheated room. We've had some problems with the glue getting too cold and not flowing. I rigged an empty gallon olive-oil can and a sixty-Watt light bulb under the glue box as a heater (with a GFCI protected circuit, of course), and it works pretty well. Heck, if you can cook cookies with one, it should keep glue fluid, eh?

Good brewing,

Timm.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Roller for glue box

Well, I finally got around to it!

Since pictures are worth a few words, I'll use both:

This is the roller in place in the glue box:

The roller itself, with scale graduated in 1/32":

The roller has shallow threads cut into it to increase glue capacity and adhesion to the application roller. The appearance of knurling is due to moire effect from my digital camera.

Detail of roller. The roller is dead on 7 1/4":

Detail of the drive side of the shaft:

The drive finger is very worn, and is retained with a drift pin.

Detail of the "dead" side of the shaft:

The collar that retains the bushing is a simple stop collar, retained by an Allen grub screw (much better than a drift pin).

The drum of the roller is 6" OD. The shaft in the bushings is 0.75" OD. The bushing OD is 1.00"

These dimensions, aside from the bushing and drum ODs and shaft length, are not critical. You can see that the various wipers etc. are fitted to the drum. In our case, the shaft has been replaced, as it was badly bent. The shaft was interference (heat) fit to the drum--it isn't one piece (thankfully). The various steps on the shaft seem to mean nothing, but our machinist faithfully reproduced them.

The drum and shaft are SS, and not ferrous at all, even when testing with a rare-earth magnet, so are likely 300 series. Not that it probably matters, but it may be to prevent any galvanic reactions with the bronze glue box parts.

BJ, feel free to use my images on your website.

Too danged bad you're on the opposite side of the continent! It'd be great to get together and jaw about gunsmithing etc. over a beer--

Timm Turrentine,
      Enterprise, Oregon.
      Last edited by TGTimm; 03-28-2013, 04:39 PM.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

That has to be the cleanest WT glue pot ever. Good job. Ours is not even close to that clean. Do you spend nights and weekends polishing it?
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Joel--

I'll have to give credit for that to our bottling crew! Now if I can just get them to clean where it counts, and not just where it shows....

Our cleaning regime isn't complex. It mostly involves hot water, Supreme (a "mildly alkaline detergent", what we generally use for hand cleaning most stuff around the brewery), and some elbow grease.

Timm Turrentine
          Enterprise, OR
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I'll send you an e-mail a little later today, our World Tandem is no longer in service, but we still have loads of documentation for it and I'm hoping we can help out.

In my 5 minutes of searching, I already found a photocopy of R-13462, I believe an original (?) is floating around somewhere. I also have R-17937 as well as an Operating Manual (likely the same you have), Lubrication Manual, Change Parts booklet, and Parts Catalog. Most of our stuff is stamped Custom Conveyor & Packaging Equipment in Oxford, MA.

If any of this is of any use, let me know and I will figure out how to get it to you.

Justin Viale
            Church Brew Works
            Pittsburgh, PA

Edit: Found two drawings that comprise R-5360 as well.
            Last edited by Justin Viale; 04-03-2013, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Justin, I would love to see an operators manual and a parts list for a WT, I have some friends that are from Pitt, come up there often, and frequent The Church. Let me know if you would be interested in runing off some copies for me. I will buy you some beer.

Also if anyone finds a source for the rubber glue transfer roller We are in need.

We have 4 World tandems that came from Celis when they were in TX (which I hear they are moving back to). Only one of which is running, the others have been used as parts form the last 9 years. I have only one glue pot. I do have a pile of aluminum picking arms both left and right, only three sets that work for our labels.
              Joel Halbleib
              Partner / Zymurgist
              Hive and Barrel Meadery
              6302 Old La Grange Rd
              Crestwood, KY
              www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Drive dog

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of a relatively undamaged "drive dog" for the glue pot? Ours is about shot and I've rebuilt it, but the profile is a WAG and I'd like to get it right.

I'll second that call for a glue transfer roller source--ours appears to date to somewhere around WWII.
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Brandon-
                  Well, I was close to finding you some blueprints. I found an old catalog from a company that made aftermarket parts for the WT machines called P.T. Bachmann out of Milwaukee. They were out of business 15 years. I got ahold of the former owner at his home and he told me that he had nothing left. He sold all his remaining stock/blueprints/etc to a company in North Carolina who's name he could not recall. No matter, he'd heard the place burned up some years ago and with it went the parts and all. My trail ended there.
                  I have a couple more leads and I do have an entire parts catalog, operator's manual (circa 1951) and settings/adjustments manual.
                  I am in desperate need of a set of double label grip fingers.
                  Cheers,
                  Joe Katchever
                  Pearl Street Brewery
                  La Crosse, Wisconsin

Comment

Can you take a pic of your current label grip fingers, I have boxes full of left and right for many different type and size labels. I take it you mean neck and body labels by double?

Originally posted by sks View Post
                    Brandon-
                    Well, I was close to finding you some blueprints. I found an old catalog from a company that made aftermarket parts for the WT machines called P.T. Bachmann out of Milwaukee. They were out of business 15 years. I got ahold of the former owner at his home and he told me that he had nothing left. He sold all his remaining stock/blueprints/etc to a company in North Carolina who's name he could not recall. No matter, he'd heard the place burned up some years ago and with it went the parts and all. My trail ended there.
                    I have a couple more leads and I do have an entire parts catalog, operator's manual (circa 1951) and settings/adjustments manual.
                    I am in desperate need of a set of double label grip fingers.
                    Cheers,
                    Joe Katchever
                    Pearl Street Brewery
                    La Crosse, Wisconsin
                    Joel Halbleib
                    Partner / Zymurgist
                    Hive and Barrel Meadery
                    6302 Old La Grange Rd
                    Crestwood, KY
                    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Gripfingers, label holders and pickers.

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
                      Can you take a pic of your current label grip fingers, I have boxes full of left and right for many different type and size labels. I take it you mean neck and body labels by double?
                      Joel- Thank you for the reply.

Just so we're on the same page: the gripfingers pin the label on the bottle until the brushes smooth it around the bottle. Here is a picture of the gripfingers I have on my machine:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	single_label_gripfinger1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	190172

The next picture is of the single labels pickers. I need pickers that can do a body (4" x 3") and a neck label:

Name:	Pickers1.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	190173

Below is the single label holder. I'm looking for a double label holder:

Name:	Single_label_holder.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	190174

Here is a picture from the catalog showing the different gripfingers:

Name:	catalog_page_27.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	190175

Comment

SO you are going from single (body label) to double (neck and body)? I have some of the double but none of the single. I will go check what I got and see if I have a whole set. I know many are bent. Will you need the double label picking arms as well, and the label basket for two? J
                        Joel Halbleib
                        Partner / Zymurgist
                        Hive and Barrel Meadery
                        6302 Old La Grange Rd
                        Crestwood, KY
                        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

parts

Yep. I am switching to neck & body labels instead of just body. The body labels I will be using are 4" wide by 3" tall. I'm not sure of exact dimensions of the neck labels because I haven't ordered any yet. I think all I need is a double label holder (basket), a set of five grip fingers for 7" bottles (probably numbers 13 or 14 from the catalog) , a pair of pickers (again, 7" bottle) and, possibly a pair of neck label wiper brushes.

Comment

I def have a neck and body basket, and found a pair of picking arms that are not too worn, they may need a little dremel work to fine tune them into the basket. What I do not have is a full set of grip fingers. I have 3 of the 12s and 3 of the 13s and lots of odds and ends. Brushes I will have to check the bones yard tomorrow. J
                            Joel Halbleib
                            Partner / Zymurgist
                            Hive and Barrel Meadery
                            6302 Old La Grange Rd
                            Crestwood, KY
                            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Gripfingers

I think we're talkin' #12s for the heritage bottles. What do you think?

Name:	Gripfinger_bottle.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	190176

Comment

Working...
                              X