No announcement yet.

World Tandem Labeler Mechanical Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I have found 4 grip fingers of the right size but I can not find a 5th. I have at least 40 of the lower portion of the grip fingers but very few of the upper brass part. All the rest of the brass fingers I have are all long neck. I have found a body and neck basket with no problems. I am found a set of suitable brushes that may need a small mod to work. Have some pics I can send you.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
      OK I have found 4 grip fingers of the right size but I can not find a 5th. I have at least 40 of the lower portion of the grip fingers but very few of the upper brass part. All the rest of the brass fingers I have are all long neck. I have found a body and neck basket with no problems. I am found a set of suitable brushes that may need a small mod to work. Have some pics I can send you.
      I think I gave you my email address over the phone yesterday. You can send pics there.
      -Joe

Comment

Still looking

Hi Joel- I am still in need of the parts we talked about on the phone. I left you a couple messages on the phone - not sure if they reached you or not. I'm slated to have this up and running before the end of the month!

Comment

Glue preference World Tandems

Gentlemen,

I have been following your thread on WT Labelers. Having some problems with glue - currently running Brewglue ammonia based GLACW2 formula glue with mixed results. Hoping you could provide some suggestions.

Thank you,

Garry Brown

Comment

Good luck finding the ideal glue for this thing!

We started out using a animal-based (collagen) glue--kinda like Elmer's, but stickier. This stuff worked great in the WT, but would rot if bottles were left in a cooler full of melted ice for a few days, producing a stench like... well, you can guess.

Currently, we're using Aquence 4079, which is problematic, but doesn't rot in the cooler. It's thicker than the animal glue, so it requires some heat during the cold months. I built an EZ-Bake type heater box that goes under the glue pot, heated with a 75-100 watt light bulb. This works pretty well, but the bulbs don't last long.

We tried an ammonia-based glue, but it corroded our glue pot. No real damage, but the glue itself would be bright green by the end of a run, and the pot required a lot of extra elbow grease to keep it clean. The ammonia smell could get pretty strong on a hot day, and we do try to keep the bottling crew as happy as we can.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Glue for WT Labeler

Timm,

Thanks for your response. I think I will stay away from the animal glue. I have been using an ammonia based glue with moderate success. I have a plastic glue pot and stainless wheel - my machines were rebuilt by PT Bachmann in 1980 so I am guessing that is when this upgrade was made. My glue seems too thick. Manufacturer says should pour like warm honey, but it is more like mustard. The cpa (viscous) rating on the glue is 40,000, yet honey is rated at 10000, so something isn't right. I have been diluting with a bit of ammonia and water at the pot to try and come up with a better result. How would you rate the cpa of the Aquence 4079?

Thanks
              Garry

Comment

We used a glue from a co in NJ called Gluefast for years on our old WT. It was like snot in the summer and pudding in the winter. It was amonia base for sure. There would be a small puddle on the floor after every run. The temp of the glue does change it's characteristics. I have heard that you need a glue heater for the GLAC, maybe not for a World Tandem since everything balls up on the roller.
                Joel Halbleib
                Partner / Zymurgist
                Hive and Barrel Meadery
                6302 Old La Grange Rd
                Crestwood, KY
                www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Viscosity is the big bugger with the WT. I can try to look up the vis. of the Aquence, but I can tell you right off it's too stiff. Due to the way the glue pot is driven, too much viscosity can result in broken and prematurely worn parts--particularly the driven cam and the legs that anchor the glue pot. I was just warning our bottling staff again against trying to tighten the anchor screws to where the pot doesn't move.

My Easy-Bake heater keeps the glue pot at around 70-75F, which does keep the glue a little thinner, but a lower viscosity glue would be better.

We tried an ammonia-based glue, but it would get more and more viscous as the ammonia volatilized. Adding ammonia during the run helped, but the vapor got overwhelming after a while.

Good luck, and if anyone has any input for a better glue, we're all ears (eyes?)!
                  Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                  Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

World Tandem Parts

Joel,

Noticed your post on parting out some of your machines. I am looking for the following:

Grip finger holder R4493 or L-325 Need 2

Gripfinger L-531 Need 1

Bottle filling in piece L-3199 (bachmann #) or R14041 has same pattern. Need 3

Running 12oz Heritage

Thanks,
                    Garry Brown
                    garry@brownsbrewing.com

Comment

Activity.....

I start a thread and get us all talking and then I dissapear.... I have been involved with a total rebuild of the labeler I was seeking information on at the beginning. What I have discovered and re-made along the way has been quite eye opening. Before I start into that is there anyone who still owns rights to any of these machine parts?

Brandon J. Mjos
                      Mechanical Designer/Machinist/Gunsmith/Consultant
                      Karben4 Brewing
                      Madison, Wisconsin
                      Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

WT for sale

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
                        I def have a neck and body basket, and found a pair of picking arms that are not too worn, they may need a little dremel work to fine tune them into the basket. What I do not have is a full set of grip fingers. I have 3 of the 12s and 3 of the 13s and lots of odds and ends. Brushes I will have to check the bones yard tomorrow. J
                        Joel,

Brandon (BJ) is my best friend and helped us get our WT in working order. We have run it splendidly for a few years, and even picked up a spare machine (fully working until we started scabbing parts). We are adding a small Cask canning machine to our packaging line, and are switching to a pressure sensitive labeler so we can label cans as well as bottles. We are putting both WTs (and all the extra parts) up for sale, and I was thinking $2500 OBO for the pair. Would you be interested?

Ryan Koga
                        Brewmaster/Co-Owner
                        Karben4 Brewing
                        Ryan@karben4.com

Comment

Well, the dead can walk again!

It's been a while, and we have since bought a pressure-sensitive inline labeler and passed the WT on.

We've never looked back. Customer complaints about labels falling off bottles in the cooler are gone. Our labels look much better and hold up in a cooler just fine. The difference in the amount of maintenance between the two paid for the new labeler in a few runs.

The WT was cool and very retro/steampunk, but it was a museum piece. We're running a production brewery; not a museum.

The difference in safety between the WT and the inline labeler are huge. You'd have to try hard to get hurt by the new labeler, whereas the WT was downright terrifying in a crowded, busy bottling line. We had several minor injuries (if you call getting one of those label holder fingers stuck through a hand minor) and far too many close calls. Way too much heavy moving equipment with no guards. I'm very glad we got rid of the WT before our surprise visit from OSHA.

I noticed the WT we sold was up for sale again in less than a year. Apparently the purchaser came to the same conclusions.

All this from a guy who restores and uses vintage Coleman gasoline-powered appliances for a hobby.

Best of luck and best wishes to those of you who are carrying on!
                          Last edited by TGTimm; 12-05-2018, 09:07 AM.
                          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Ryan,
                            I traded our last working WT to the gang at New Glarus. They still ran their Thumb Print series on a WT as of a few years ago. I think your in the ball park if you find someone still running one. Best of luck. Joel
                            Joel Halbleib
                            Partner / Zymurgist
                            Hive and Barrel Meadery
                            6302 Old La Grange Rd
                            Crestwood, KY
                            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                            X