Yeast Propagation - Suggestions for 15BBL'ish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Propagation - Suggestions for 15BBL'ish

I am curious as to what method and schedule has worked well for yeast propagation for other 15BBL'ish breweries pitching into both 15 and 30 BBL fermentors. I am trying to plan ahead for a brewery-to-be and factor in any costs and schedule consideration for the yeast. At this point, I am aiming for a single strain, but this isn't firm, and perhaps another strain will be used as well.

I have read of other people going from packet -> flask -> carboy -> conical, and I am also minimally aware of what propagation systems are available.

Any input is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

look for a 3 bbl fermenter. buy 1 bbl pitchable and feed the yeast .5 bbl a day over 6 days feeding it o2 continuesly for the first 2 days. you should be able to bring the cell count up to pitch into a 15 bbl batch.

Comment

While it's far from optimal, we've had good success with the following:
      1. Two days before brew day, we either run 1bbl of a light wort over to the empty FV (15bbl) or we make a 1bbl prop wort using DME.
      2. Pitch the 1bbl prop on that FV.
      3. After 2 days brew on top of that prop.
      4. Use that for 8-12 generations

I rarely buy a full 15bbl pitchable quantity any more unless its a one-off beer. Ideally we'd have a separate vessel for this to free up the FV.

Rick Seibt
      Willoughby Brewing

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
        look for a 3 bbl fermenter. buy 1 bbl pitchable and feed the yeast .5 bbl a day over 6 days feeding it o2 continuesly for the first 2 days. you should be able to bring the cell count up to pitch into a 15 bbl batch.
        Are you using air from an aircompressor? I'm assuming you would not want to use pure o2. What do you use for an inline filter? I aerate with pure o2, unfiltered. I've used some of the small plastic disk filters that homebrewers use with aquarium pumps before but found that any significant amount of pressure blows them apart.

Comment

Also, during constant aeration are you using any type of anti-foaming agent like Fermcap?

Comment

Working...
          X