No announcement yet.

Our Brewery Giving People Diarrhea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah 760 mg/L is a ton of gypsum. We use 120-200 or so mg/L into the mash. Keeps our SO4 kinda 60-90 ppm depending on what we're brewing.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

The laxative effect of sulfate kicks in around 200ppm, though people with high SO4 drinking water can adapt somewhat. A lab I worked at in Utah, where high sulfate is common, fielded a lot of questions about laxative well water.

I'd most definitely back off on the gypsum. The people in Olde Burton who had been drinking that water all their lives might have been able to tolerate the SO4 but your customers probably can't.

Comment

Also, Just a suggestion outside the brewing process....

I'm assuming all these beers are being consumed in the brewpub? even with a off site brewery...?

Before I was in the brewing industry, I was a bartender. We used to find that improper proportions of our cleaning chemicals to clean glassware could tend to give your stomach a bit of an uneasyness the next morning. If all the beers being consumed at the same location, double check the cleaners and sanitizers are you using on your glassware..... If your using bleach or something similar to sanitize your glassware, and its not getting rinsed properly, you might have a problem...

Comment

Working...
        X