Quality control plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality control plan

The gear for the brewery I work for is starting to arrive and I hope we brew our first beer in the first half of may.

I want to be able to produce consistent beer, well-made beer and maybe put a few weeks extra on the shelf life.

I have a small QC-plan, if anyone wants to add some feedback to it, feel free. There's always SOMETHING I forget or missed.

Brewhouse:
    PH of the mash and wort every brew, along with iodine and extract.
    Bitternes units, if I manage to get my spectrophotometer working. Not every brew, but to help fine-tune the process.

Fermentation/lager cellar:
    Dissolved oxygen during transfer from the cooler and again on the filled tank.
    Extract reading two times per day (only one fermenter, so it should work just fine)
    pH-testing on the lager tanks every day

Filtration:
    O2 and CO2 on the brights
    Haze
    Bitternes units (not regulary)

Filled bottles:
    CO2 and O2
    Predicted shelf life

Sanitation and hygiene:
    ATP and conductivity tests after each CIP-program on the cooler and everything afterwards.
    ATP test on the cold water tank and water lines, perhaps once a month.
    Conductivity test on the bathtub for hoses, fittings and pipe parts to see if the disinfectant solution in the bath needs to be changed
    Titration on the caustic tank, along with visual inspection to ascertain the caustic concentration.
    Visual inspection of water tanks, to see if there's any scaling. As often as experience demands.

This will be a 10hl brewhouse. Possible to do 4-5 per day max. But we plan to do 1 brew per week during the first year.
    Even if we're small, I want quality to be as good as possible.

Comment

MIcrobial

Any plans aside from the ATP? (anaerobic/aerobic bacterial counts, wild yeast)

What about yeast counts and viability to direct pitch rates?

Comment

Originally posted by beer_gorilla View Post
        Any plans aside from the ATP? (anaerobic/aerobic bacterial counts, wild yeast)

What about yeast counts and viability to direct pitch rates?
        No, not at the moment. That requires more time and more stuff. I brought my own ATP-meter to this brewery, and the quality budget is tight.
        An ATP-meter is a fast way to check if a finished CIP-program is acceptable or not, and that's about it. Oh, and water and other spots.

Yeast counts and viability would be prefered, but I haven't had any practical experience with that. Don't know what to look for in a microscope. If you can offer some advice, feel free

Comment

Originally posted by campbell.brian
          You mentioned conductivity testing on the hose brinks and parts baths. Some products, including Iodophor and Peracetic Acid, cannot be checked with Conductivity. Make sure if you use conductivity, you are measuring the chemical you intend. Otherwise, a titration is required.

Sincerely,

Brian Campbell
          We won't be using iodophor, but we'll probably use peracetic acid. Peracetic acid does have the advantage that it breaks down to harmless products, so a conductivity isn't as important. At least I think so, feel free to correct me.
          The chemicals I'm looking at are sodium hydroxide based caustic, a phosphoric acid/bromacetic acid mix and a hydrogen peroxide/peracetic acid mix.

Comment

Working...
          X