False Bottoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Bottoms

I have three stainless 55 gallon drums I am looking to turn into a pilot system. In looking around it seems that some folks have had success with these, so I am optomistic the will help me get up and running. One point I am sticking on, though, is a false bottom. Does anyone have a recomendation for what to use/where to get/how to build a false bottom for these?

I have two different options of tanks to use. One is a standard 55gal stianless drum with a 22" diamater, the other is about 47 gallons, much heavier duty and has a dish bottom and a 24" diamater.

Thanks for any input!

False bottom

Check around the net there is a guy on Portland Or. that does custom homebrewery work. I think I saw him on craigslist.
    Sleiche!
    Bill
    Busted knuckles Brewing Co.

Comment

False bottom

Take a look at Nor Cal Brewing.

Nick

Comment

false bottom

Originally posted by GuardianBrewing View Post
        I have three stainless 55 gallon drums I am looking to turn into a pilot system. In looking around it seems that some folks have had success with these, so I am optomistic the will help me get up and running. One point I am sticking on, though, is a false bottom. Does anyone have a recomendation for what to use/where to get/how to build a false bottom for these?

I have two different options of tanks to use. One is a standard 55gal stianless drum with a 22" diamater, the other is about 47 gallons, much heavier duty and has a dish bottom and a 24" diamater.

Thanks for any input!
        You could make a manifold out of 3/4'' copper pipe had a system useing a manifold on 55 gal drum and brewed with it for years and worked exellent.
        If you do decide to go with a false bottom screen you have to think your grain and liquor weight depending your batch size will be a few hundred pounds, so supports and heavier guage screen would be needed.
        Hope this helps

Comment

Alestars, any chance you woul have a picture of your old manifold? Is there an major advantage of a manifold over a false bottom? Or of a false bottom over a manifold?

Comment

I have a pilot system just as you are talking about. The first MT I had used a Blichman false bottom in one of their 55 gallon kettles. It sucked and didn't fit properly and I could never get it to run clear on volauf. I ended up taking an old 55 gallon drum and installing a Bazooka screen and batch sparged with it and it works great. Cheap as hell and easy, too.

Comment

Manifold

First prototype of a manifold.

I know for homebrewing cPVC works great, am I going to have any problems with it comercialy that I should switch to copper?

This tank has a center drain with a slight cone bottom. Click image for larger version

Name:	manifold.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	190150

Comment

false botom

Originally posted by GuardianBrewing View Post
                First prototype of a manifold.

I know for homebrewing cPVC works great, am I going to have any problems with it comercialy that I should switch to copper?

This tank has a center drain with a slight cone bottom. [ATTACH]10835[/ATTACH]
                Sorry, couldnt find any pics of manifold.
                Are you going to drill holes in this? It looks good.
                The manifold that I built was more square with a tee on back side of square with a short piece and cap on it.
                You will want to make sure you get good flow from center so that when spargeing your hot liquer doesnt flow around outside of mash tun, or equal flow.
                John Palmer has a good article on manifolds and mash tun flows.
                I'm sure the manifold method will work good for you, maybe even do a new post on manifolds and see what others have to say.
                Good Luck

Comment

I have a similar octagonal CPVC manifold that I use for homebrewing. I didn't put holes in it, but cut slots with a Dremel.

Works like a charm, but grain pieces get stuck in the slots and it's necessary to take it apart and clean it with each use (it's just friction-fitted together).

Comment

Originally posted by Rick500 View Post
                    I have a similar octagonal CPVC manifold that I use for homebrewing. I didn't put holes in it, but cut slots with a Dremel.

Works like a charm, but grain pieces get stuck in the slots and it's necessary to take it apart and clean it with each use (it's just friction-fitted together).
                    My homebrew MT consists of a rectangle Coleman cooler with a custom manifold I built using PVC. I opted for the small slots using a Dremel tool, as well. It works great and I've never had a stuck sparge or had a problem during vorlauf. It looks very primitive and "homegrown", but works just as good as anything else. The only drawback, as pointed out by Rick, is disassembling during cleanup to make sure no grain is stuck in the slots. Seems like a pain at first, but if you cut the lengths of PVC correctly, then it's easy to distinguish which parts go where and their respective orientation.
                    Mike Slone
                    Co-Founder, Head Brewer
                    23 Brewing Company
                    Instagram: @23brewingco - Facebook.com/23BrewingCompany

"Beer is the drink of men who think, who feel no fear nor fetter. Who do not drink to senseless sink, but drink to think the better" - Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                    X