Keg deposit question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg deposit question.

I looked for info on this, but couldn't find it. Please point me if it has been answered.

We are a small brewery that has about 15 local accounts. We currently do not do keg deposits, but we plan to do them as we are getting into more bars.

I plan to put a keg deposit on every invoice, then the driver will mark it out if a keg is returned and only charge for the new beer. Is this standard procedure? The part about keg deposits I don't understand is if I go to a bar that has not placed an order, but they have an empty keg to pick up, how do you track the deposit? Do drivers write checks to the bar when there isn't a trade? Does the bar trust that you will remember that they gave you back a keg with a deposit so when they order another keg you will not charge them a deposit? What is the standard procedure for this? How does it all work?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Rich, talk to the accounts and your distributor directly about how they handle deposits.
    We charge our distributors a deposit and they, then, pass that onto the accounts they place our kegs into. When the keg is returned to the distributor, the deposit is returned to the account and when the keg is returned to us, the distributor gets their deposit back.
    Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we are self distributing.

That said, it sounds like you are constantly trading deposits with your distributor and your distributor constantly exchanging with the bars.

Thanks,

Rich
      Last edited by I H8 UM; 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of paperwork to keep up with the deposit. Is that a common practice across the industry? And are deposits credited in the next invoice?

Comment

Best bet is to create a separate credit or a negative invoice and not alter the original invoice. But both practices are done.

Comment

Treat ever transaction separately, with its own invoice.
            With a negative balance its best to mail/drop a check. Things get too confusing trying to remember who owes what over multiple transactions. I'm fine with lining out and adjusting amounts for invoices where you drop kegs, but pickup empties. You probablywant also to readjust that transaction in your books when that invoice comes back to the office so you know why/where the $ are flowing.
            Keg tracking software might be good to look into also.
            Were also a small brewery with self-dist. and I'm just learning this stuff the hard way...
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Postcard

Here is an idea I had. I thought about making self addressed stamped postcards and keep in the delivery vehicle. If I pickup a keg where one is not ordered, I can leave the postcard behind. If the bar owner wants their deposit back, they drop the card in the mail and we send a deposit check to them. If they reorder, they can give us the postcard back when we deliver or pay a new deposit. Thoughts?

Comment

I think the postcard would get messy and I think some might get put off by it. What are your invoice terms?
                Last edited by thatjonguy; 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM.
                Little Deep Brewing Company
                Minot, North Dakota
                www.littledeepbrewing.com

Comment

It's a mess no matter what

It's a mess no matter what because there are always going to be accounts that refuse to pay deposits or try and return kegs before the invoice comes due. We use keg tracking software that interfaces with quickbooks and keeps track of it automatically. We tried keeping track of it ourselves, but it turned into a nightmare once we hit about 50 accounts. http://www.intelibrew.com/

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by thatjonguy View Post
                    I think the postcard would get messy and I think some might get put off by it. What are your invoice terms?
                    Invoice is COD.

Comment

Working...
                    X