What kind of flow meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPI Meter Chemical incompatibility

I have the GPI flometer, G2 series S10T09GMA, and have had these meters at multiple breweries. We usually leave the one to meter our wort going into the fermentor mounted on the plate chiller and run it as part of the CIP. One week it stopped working and I took it off to take a look. I had found that the turbine had come loose and was flopping around in the housing. I called GPI and those guys are great! Long story short the the tungsten carbide shaft in the housing on the meter IS NOT compatible with NaOH and Nitric/Phos blend acids. So as we CIP'd our tank it eroded the shaft. They have a ceramic shaft option available but I do not think it is compatible with this housing type. Do not run your caustic loops and take a good look at your wetted parts and ensure that they are compatible with the application.

Take a look at their compatibility chart. Posted below:

Cheers!
    Brett Langschied
    QA/QC Manager, and Brewer
    Midland Brewing Company
    Brett@midlandbrewing.com

Comment

So what is the recommended cleaning process for these meters since they are not compatible with caustic?

Comment

Whitewall, is your flow meter still Working?

Originally posted by Whitewall View Post
        We use the Econo Turbine Flow Meter from GWKent for mash and sparge waters as well as cip water. Good up to 300F. Works great
        Hi Whitewall,

Is this meter still in use? Are you still happy with it?

Thanks!
        Cheers,
        Michael Demers
        (970) 397-0277

Comment

These inexpensive Turbine meters are best for water, not for liquids with solids, bubbles and/or extreme heat. = Wort, Beer. Also they have min straight pipe recommendations, need to be calibrated often, electronics are susceptible to temperatures and interior parts can't be cip'd. Ignore any of these and you're wasting your money.
          So use them on water and calibrate a strip on your tank, then use a removable 1/2" tube with a TC adapter to get vol. on your FV's, even your Kettle. Easy to use and clean.
          OR - buy a MUCH more expensive flow meter.
          Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
          tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
          "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
          X