GW Kent Keg Filler with FOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GW Kent Keg Filler with FOB

We have been using these fillers for 2 years now with good results. Recently the plastic fobs have been cracking and need to be replaced. GW Kent will not sell these separately.
    Anyone know of an aftermarket or a different system that works the same way?
    We don't want to pay 200 bucks to replace one plastic piece

Cheers
    Eric Luman
    Green Room Brewing
    Jax Beach Florida

Same problem

These work great when they work. You can walk away and do other things and come back in ten minuets to switch them over to another set of kegs. The FOB's do crack though. It is not reasonable for GW Kent to want 200 dollars to send you the whole filling head when all you need is one piece of plastic. Has anyone found these as a separate item?

Comment

I was looking at ours the other day remembering this thread from long ago and thinking it probably wouldn't be that hard to replace it with something else. I was thinking a short piece of tubing, large enough diameter to fit a regular keg coupler's check ball and a hose barb at the top of the tube to catch the ball and seal. You might even be able to reuse the ball that is in the FOB which comes with the filler. When I am filling kegs, I find every couple of kegs I am fiddling with the FOB trying to get the ball to go back down.

I believe the reason GW Kent doesn't want to sell the FOB separately is that it is the only piece that cannot already be sourced elsewhere. The valves (http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...id-7419-1.html), and the coupler itself (http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...pid-7485S.html) are just normal Micromatic parts.
      Last edited by AnthonyB; 07-30-2014, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Experienced the same problem, decided to just ditch the plastic piece and control the fill flow with the ball valve on the gas side barely cracked. Sure you can't just walk away and forget about the keg, but it works great and you don't have to mess with the ball getting stuck because of foam every second or third keg.

Comment

Cracked check valves/FOB

Worked great until they cracked. Totally unacceptable that they won't replace the FOB device. I have two that cracked and no longer function. I refuse to buy the whole thing (or anything else from GW until they sell me the part).

Comment

gwkent

Been searching for an alternative to this filler the only one i have found is the one from chicompany but it seems that both companies are out of stock.In fact i purchased on from gwkent back in march and never did recieve it. They kept saying 4 to 6 more weeks. Finally i just asked for my money back.

Any one have a better alternative. Pulling spears and hand filling by siphon sux and is a time consuming job.

Wish i could afford a washer and filler but someday.

Comment

Originally posted by mntnmn View Post
              Any one have a better alternative. Pulling spears and hand filling by siphon sux and is a time consuming job.
              Just use a regular sankey coupler with the check valves removed and fill through the liquid in/spear. Put a short tube on what would normally be the gas inlet and put the open end in a bucket. Control flow on the liquid and venting sided with ball valves. Slowly vent the keg and it will fill under counter pressure. When you see foam coming out the vent hose, it's full. Works the same as the filler we've been discussing, but without the check valve to stop flow when the keg is full. The difference is that you can't leave it unattended.

Comment

Originally posted by BDK View Post
                Just use a regular sankey coupler with the check valves removed and fill through the liquid in/spear. Put a short tube on what would normally be the gas inlet and put the open end in a bucket. Control flow on the liquid and venting sided with ball valves. Slowly vent the keg and it will fill under counter pressure. When you see foam coming out the vent hose, it's full. Works the same as the filler we've been discussing, but without the check valve to stop flow when the keg is full. The difference is that you can't leave it unattended.
                Seeing foam out the vent hose doesn't ensure the keg is full unless you fill very, very slowly. I use this method filling two kegs at a time but each is on a scale. Watching the scale I can increase or decrease the fill rate and tell when I hit my target volume.

Micromatic sells coupler ball valves which we use on the vent side. A ball valve on the spear side would allow you to cut off flow without shutting the valve at the filling tank which is good for preventing losses when switching kegs.

Comment

We use the bored out (no check valve) Micromatic fill/wash head couplers with the little ball valves. Vinyl hose on the gas/overflow side. While it's true seeing foam doesn't mean the keg is full, the foam will change distinctly from frothy to liquid-y when the keg is full, indicating it's time to shut the valves.

You quickly get accustomed to the visual. The more carbonated the beer, the more co2 breaks out when filling (assuming your fill technique isn't 100% perfect, i.e. you're not spending an eternity to perfectly balance the counterflow for each keg), and thus the earlier the frothy foam appears. Thus the longer you need to let it "overflow" to push out the foam and get a full keg.

Also, having beers with slightly different carbonation levels - and perhaps foaming properties - highlights the importance of being familiar with the foaming tendencies.

Another trick if you're kegging in a warm place, you can feel the cold beer creep up the metal keg surface on its way to the valve.

Comment

Been looking for an alternative. Sure wish gwkent and chico would get the job done and start offering these again. I am desperate to find an easy , stupid proof method for my small brewery.

Comment

Here is my "system" if it helps. I use the micro fill/wash coupler and attach a short piece (about 2") of clear vinyl hose to the gas out valve. To the end of that i attach a small ball valve (example: http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...id-1600AB.html ) then a long blow off hose. I use the small valve to control the fill rate ( I use use about 3 min to fill a sixtel ) and once I have the fill rate where I want, I remove the valve handle so it stays set.
                      Since the beer is restricted after the short 2" section of hose, it now works as a "sight glass".

My SOP: Chill and pressurize sanitized keg. Attach coupler and open fill valve. Wait a few seconds for keg to equalize with brite then open the gas out valve fully . (The preset small valve will regulate the fill rate). When beer appears in the "sight glass" (the short tube between the valves) keg is full, shut gas out valve, wait 5 sec shut fill valve.
                      I have 2 of these made up, as I fill 2 kegs at a time. I find it a lot easier now to train people to fill the kegs and be consistent with less waste as they don't have to guess at fill rate.

Comment

Originally posted by fmeric View Post
                        We use the bored out (no check valve) Micromatic fill/wash head couplers with the little ball valves. Vinyl hose on the gas/overflow side. While it's true seeing foam doesn't mean the keg is full, the foam will change distinctly from frothy to liquid-y when the keg is full, indicating it's time to shut the valves.
                        This. +1 for vinyl hose blowoff

We're pretty much in the same spot as everyone else who have used these GW FOBs. We've had a new set of couplers (with purportedly newly-designed shutoff valves, pictured here on page 25) on backorder for a few months now. But, alas, I now grow impatient and frustrated by their ever-changing timeline.

Comment

Has anyone tried using this?
                          Wash Head Tap Keg Coupler for Filling & Cleaning. Easy to clean/fill kegs upside-down. Includes a shut-off ball valve at each port.

Product Description:

This coupler head can be used for both keg filling, washing and decanting!

Both the CO2 (gas) and Beer sides of this tap are equally large unlike standard couplers which have a reduced diameter CO2 inlet.
                          Unlike standard couplers the “Wash-Head tap” does not have check valves at either the inlet or outlet ports.
                          This quality wash-head coupler includes a ‘Shut-Off’ ball valve at each port, which allows a quick turn-off from the inlet source and attachment of the next keg.
                          Use this coupler for cleaning with the keg in an inverted position.
                          Use as well for filling in either upright or inverted keg position.
                          Both ports have removable 1/2″ ID hose barbs for easy connections.
                          ----

Sabco's been really responsive when I've looked for specific parts in the past. And it's half the price.

Comment

Thank you

Just what i was looking for. Did not want to nave to build one myself and this will fill the need.

Comment

Foxx Equipment has one too...

Comment

Working...
                              X