No announcement yet.

GW Kent Keg Filler with FOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious - have you actually had a good experience with the replacement FOB? Because I haven't. It doesn't stop when the keg is filled. Like, ever. So essentially, GW Kent replaced a single piece that always worked with 6 pieces that don't. And when asked, they don't seem to care. They just say we're using it wrong. Really disappointed.

Comment

Still selling?

Originally posted by trevasja1 View Post
      Please let me know if you would like to get a few - First one is $60 and the rest are $50, will ship in same box
      Still selling these puppies?

Comment

filler

Originally posted by falkaveli View Post
        Still selling these puppies?
        yes - jeff@twistedmanzanita.com

Comment

Originally posted by spetrovits View Post
          Just curious - have you actually had a good experience with the replacement FOB? Because I haven't. It doesn't stop when the keg is filled. Like, ever. So essentially, GW Kent replaced a single piece that always worked with 6 pieces that don't. And when asked, they don't seem to care. They just say we're using it wrong. Really disappointed.
          Are they just spitting beer through the valve when full? Just out of curiosity, to what v/v do you carbonate and what is your head pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by spetrovits View Post
            Your experience mimics ours. The previous single piece plastic design was superior functionality wise.

Comment

Originally posted by shanek View Post
              Your experience mimics ours. The previous single piece plastic design was superior functionality wise.
              The new one is terrible, I put a plastic solo cup over it so when the beer shoots out it doesn't go across the brewery and seems to help plug it up and stop it too
              Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
              Owner
              Flounder Brewing Co., LLC
              Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by jl07960 View Post
                The new one is terrible, I put a plastic solo cup over it so when the beer shoots out it doesn't go across the brewery and seems to help plug it up and stop it too
                And I thought I had come up with that brilliant solution! I also find that after each fill, I have to unscrew the FOB portion and give it a good blow to get the ball to drop back down in the chamber for the next fill. I'm use to it now, but it does seem a bit of a departure from what they must have envisioned in R & D...
                Dave Cowie
                Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
                Nevada City, CA

Comment

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post
                  And I thought I had come up with that brilliant solution! I also find that after each fill, I have to unscrew the FOB portion and give it a good blow to get the ball to drop back down in the chamber for the next fill. I'm use to it now, but it does seem a bit of a departure from what they must have envisioned in R & D...
                  best part about the solo cup is it amplifies the hissing sound too, the new FOBs are quieter so if I am getting something elsewhere I like to hear the hiss
                  Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
                  Owner
                  Flounder Brewing Co., LLC
                  Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

This is a real bummer. Has anyone found an alternative to the newer Kent units? Or a good, effective DYI solution?

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                      This is a real bummer. Has anyone found an alternative to the newer Kent units? Or a good, effective DYI solution?

-Mike
                      Interested as well, we got ours, and not only does it take 10-15 minutes to fill a keg, it doesnt shut off like it says it should. Seems like ripoff to me....

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrewing View Post
                        Interested as well, we got ours, and not only does it take 10-15 minutes to fill a keg, it doesnt shut off like it says it should. Seems like ripoff to me....
                        I got a response back from GWKent that a 1/4" npt to hose barb needs to be connected to the threaded end output with a hose running to a bucket/cup. They claim that the ball will stop beer, but after some drains out of the tiny hole at the end of the FOB. I guess the barb is just so it doesnt shoot across the room. Guess Ill give it a go the next time Im filling kegs and see if this claim is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrewing View Post
                          I got a response back from GWKent that a 1/4" npt to hose barb needs to be connected to the threaded end output with a hose running to a bucket/cup. They claim that the ball will stop beer, but after some drains out of the tiny hole at the end of the FOB. I guess the barb is just so it doesnt shoot across the room. Guess Ill give it a go the next time Im filling kegs and see if this claim is correct.
                          I can't see how this will speed up the fill though. It still takes ~10-12 minutes to fill a 1/2bbl. For my ops, and size, that's not a big deal. But after the ball stops the flow, it does not sink again, and I have to crack the FOB everytime and blow the ball back down for the next keg. Anyone else having the ball consistently stick at the top after each fill? Am I missing something? Or more than usual?
                          Last edited by barleyfreak; 12-14-2016, 12:36 PM.
                          Dave Cowie
                          Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
                          Nevada City, CA

Comment

Check out ePlastics

Hey BDK,

I had my unit crack as well, found this site...

ePlastics is a distributor of plastic sheets, rod, tubing and fabrication trusted for over 100 years. We carry a large stock of plexiglass, acrylic, polycarbonate, fiberglass, hdpe and other speciality plastics. Based in San Diego we ship worldwide.

And ordered this part number...

ACREXT.875X.62

Here's the direct link...

Ordered a 6' piece and cut them as I need them.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Troy
                            Full Spectrum Brewing
                            Fort Mill, SC

Originally posted by BDK View Post
                            Worked great until they cracked. Totally unacceptable that they won't replace the FOB device. I have two that cracked and no longer function. I refuse to buy the whole thing (or anything else from GW until they sell me the part).

Comment

Fill rate

After our old plastic FOB finally gave out we sprung for the new fancy one. As others have said, the fill rate is WAY slower than with the old one. After some fooling around with it I found a pretty reasonable fix. The "bottleneck" in the process is how fast the little vent hole at the top of the FOB can vent out the pressure in your keg. Since this thing comes apart into pieces I was easily able to remove the flat metal disk with the vent hole and drill it out slightly. I must stress SLIGHTLY. I used the smallest drill bit I could find (so small I don't know what size it is because it can't be printed on the side of it) and made the hole a little bit bigger. Now it fills faster than my old plastic FOB did.

I must stress that this has to be done in very small increments. If you go too big you will fill real quick but get a lot of Co2 breakout (foam) while filling. I don't think they sell the individual pieces of this setup so if you screw it up, well, you're screwed.
                              Scott LaFollette
                              Fifty West Brewing Company
                              Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Still available?

Just curious if you still have these being made?

Comment

Working...
                                X