Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulated vs. uninsulated 7bbl kettle

Hello everybody,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts regarding brewing with a direct fired 7bbl kettle that is uninsulated/single walled (firebox would be insulated however). Would there be any major issues we would be dealing with. If so, any recommendations on how we could possibly remedy them? Or should we really just try to source an insulated 7bbl kettle instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by Catfish002; 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM.

Thoughts about this...

Originally posted by Catfish002 View Post
    Hello everybody,

Just wanted to hear your thoughts regarding brewing with a direct fired 7bbl kettle that is uninsulated/single walled (firebox would be insulated however). Would there be any major issues we would be dealing with. If so, any recommendations on how we could possibly remedy them? Or should we really just try to source an insulated 7bbl kettle instead?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Any thoughts?

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Hope everyone had a great 4th of July! Thanks!

Comment

uninsulated kettle

We have an uninsulated kettle. I bought insulation for a hot water heater at Home Depot and wrapped it around the kettle, with a tie down strap. It works pretty good. My preference would have been an insulated kettle, but if you don't have it, you can get by.

Rich

Comment

It seems a little scary to have a kettle that size not being insulated. I would be afraid that someone would brush up against it or inadvertently touch the tank believing it was safe, even after knock out. Even with insulated kettles, some spots can get a bit warm. If I were to purchase a single-walled kettle, I would at the very least, insulate the tank like previously mentioned. The Alan Pugsley systems used a brick lining to insulate which gave the brewhouse a rustic look.

Comment

Working...
        X