Grain Temperature - Mash Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain Temperature - Mash Temperature

Hey folks.. I was wondering if you could give me some input on what may be our process for crushing grain and how that will impact our mash.

Our system will be a 10bbl Specific Mechanical system and the MLT will have a grist hydrater and rakes.

Because of space constraints, we look to be crushing our grain outside. Basically, on brew day we will roll out the pallet of grains and mill, hook up to an auger and the grist will be transferred inside to a hopper over the MLT where it will hold until we're done crushing and the brewer can get back inside to start dumping the grain into the MLT. (one man operation)

The concern is the temperature swing and how breweries that do not have their grains at a specific temperature at all times, manage the mash temps from being off. (Or will the temps even be way off?)

The thought is if the grain is stored in the 60's and is rolled out into 30 or 90 degree temps, with the time it's out there being opened and crushed, will that big temp swing make an impact (cause headaches) for the brewer trying to nail the mash temps with day to day, week to week outside temperature changes.

I realize we can use our CLT and HLT to adjust but how difficult is that going to be to regulate and how much of a temperature change before we start running into running out of space in the MLT.

Any thoughts / input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mill the night before you brew

Then the grain will have half a day to be at the ambient temperature of the brew house. From there it shouldn't be hard to figure out the temperature adjustment needed to hit your mash temp. Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

If you mill the night before, you will increase the oxidation of the malt. If you leave bread out overnight does it taste the same the next day? It may not be a major concern for your situation, but its not ideal. You can compensate for the temps of the grain by making a slightly thicker or thinner mash (add hot or cold to reach your target), but this may not be ideal either. Your brewer can learn over time how to compensate, but this is subjective to each brewer and takes batches to get an idea. It would be useful to know more about the specifics of your milling/mashing procedures. Do you have steam jackets? What will it take you to mill in time wise? 30-40 mins? If that's the case, then take your grains outside immediately before milling. It would be unlikely for a pallet of grain to drastically change temps within 30 mins. I know for a fact based upon first hand observations that the interior temperature of the bags will change temperature very very very slowly. Up or down. The exterior of the bags will change temps fairly quickly. Say within a few hours. This is true to as low as 6^F based on my observations. You will also have some ammount of time for it to sit in the hopper to re acclimate. How accurate is your current mashing? We are able to measure and mash to about two tenths of a degree. We definitely notice a grain temp differential. We lower our target about one degree in the summer to reach the standard temp. How do you measure the temp of your mash? Omega probe, thermowell, dip in a finger? Do you measure at the top or bottom or in between? How well you mash is mixed makes a big difference as well. Even if your grain is always the same temp, you will have some swing in temps, what is your preferred method in that case? How is your HLT set up? How big is it?

Comment

I have no facts that I can relay on how much oxidation will occur in less than 24 hours, but I've seen many breweries who produce high quality beer, that have won awards & accolades but most importantly have been operating for years who use either pre-milled grain or mill the day before and let it sit in a grist case overnight. Personally I like dealing with constants as much as I can and if it were me I'd pre-mill as it would shorten my brew day since I could be milling in the day before while I'm running a CIP on the FV I'm going to brew in to.
        Cheers,
        Mike Roy
        Brewmaster
        Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
        5123 Baltimore Ave
        Hyattsville,MD 20781
        301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
        @franklinsbrwry
        facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

math and instrumentation

temperature probe in the grist case.

Aa + Bb = Cc

Aa = grist (weight)(temp)
          B = desired volume by weight of foundation water
          Cc = desired mash temp and total weight of grain and mash water.

Solve for b (foundation water temp).

T into foundation water supply with temp gauges strategically placed. add some finesse. Done.

Every day; lather, rinse, repeat.

Levi
          Last edited by sleeper; 07-04-2013, 04:27 PM.
          (this is something actually said to me!) "If your beer was any better than budwieser, they would be making it."

Comment

Working...
          X