Fixing Cool Fit leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Cool Fit leak

Anyone have any luck fixing leaks on installed Cool-fit? Specifically we have a T to Pipe connection that was newly installed and on close inspection the bead of Coolfit cement did not go all the way around and where it didnt there is a small leak. My first inclination is to simply apply more cement to the area but I have to wait for a new can as the old one had gotten too thick by the end of the install. I really dont want to cut the T out and redo a new one because there is also a valve glued into the other end of the T and the T itself would be garbage if I cut it out. Also considered some type of JB Weld. I also have a pipe fitting where we needed a D to Di fitting (for those that know coolfit) our solution to avoid cutting out the premeasured section was to simply glue a barrel nipple over the pipe to pipe because the diameters were right. Had to do it twice and one worked and another didnt. It doesnt help that its at the high point of the system and there is a slight bend coming in and out of the T. Probably have to cut that one out.

There is a leak fixing epoxy that GF recommends for situations exactly like this. You cut back some of the outer insulation/black stuff and slather this epoxy/glue stuff all around the pipe and when it dries it should fix your leak. We have had to use this on two different systems in a few different spots (usually when I was dumb enough to try gluing some pipes, not my strong spot it seems) and it fixed the leak right up.

I don't know the brand off hand, but GF should be able to tell you.

Comment

Working...
    X