Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consulting fees

Situation:
    I was recently interviewed for brewmaster job. The pub has been closed for many months and full of mold and rat shit.
    The new owners asked for an inventory/evaluation of the brewery equipment and offerd to pay me for my time during the interview.
    It was a disgusting experiance...the previous brewer left the place trashed and I had to wade through alot of grosse filth just to count grain bags ..hop boxes...test fire the kettle ...run water...check augers..electronics...ect...
    It took about 5 hours.
    I didn't get picked for the job.

Question:
    How much do you all think I should charge for my time?

I'd say a minimum of $100.

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Hello,

I've done, and been offered similar gigs. I usually charge $125 / hr for that type of consulting / evaluation. They get a trained eye, some valuable expertise and a written evaluation / list of recommendations. Brewery remediations (clean & fixes) are usually a longer term thing, and I usually work out some sort of a "volume" pricing (works out to a lower hourly rate).

I imagine it will be hard to charge them an appropriate price without having agreed to it up front.

Hope you make out OK,
      best of luck,
      Ron

Comment

$100??
        That's all?
        I should ad these people had no idea what they were even looking at when they aquired the building.
        They literally didn't know a keg from a kettle.
        At least 4 hours on the phone....two sit down interviews and 5 hours in the pig sty that was to become the brewery.

I was thinking more along the lines of $200 per hour for short term consoltation/accessment of equipment.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not bitter about not being hired at all, I do feel I was played a bit, and alot of my time wasted.
        Such is this biz........

Comment

Consulting

As an independant consultant you must pay for your own SSI, your own medical, and any other benifits that would normaily be provided by a company. In small companies this may only be 50% above your wage cost but in a large company it can be 120%. You must also pay for your transportation since it is not a normaly a local job site. If you provided a writen report with advice and a list of requirements, then all of the above should be accounted for. Oh don't forget that you must pay an additional 7.5% as the employers share of SSI. $50.00 hr or $300.00 day. Remember that rent telephone, and other office cost must be included. I know that most small breweries don't want to pay this but if you add up the cost of what you are providing, its not cheap. Good Luck Graydon

Comment

$200 / hr. Sweet. I'm raising my prices!

Aloha,
            Ron

Comment

What is your time worth?

If you start out low you have nowhere to go but down.

Always ask for more than you want and be willing to settle for less unless you are treated poorly. Your knowledge is worth the investment you made in it.

B

PS: Some other industries bill out their consulting at three times the hourly rate of the person sent out...

Comment

Obviously, my figure was way too low!

Still, without negotiating a fee in advance, you're not operating from a position of strength.

At least 4 hours on the phone....two sit down interviews and 5 hours in the pig sty that was to become the brewery.
                Sounds like you have at least one full day's worth of "consulting" to bill them for (you can hardly bill someone for interviewing you for a job!). What's a reasonable day rate for your services? What are they likely to actually pay?

I suspect the final figure will fall somewhere in between...

Good luck (really),

Tim

Comment

Lol!...thank you all for the perspectives.
                  It was rather informal. I think I'll ask for $125/hr.
                  I'll let you all know how it goes.

"Music(beer?) should be free...but it's worth less and less..."
                  (Steve Hackett)

Comment

I would not go cheeper than $50 an hour plus expences including travel. Also bill for telephone time! All reading this should be warned to negotiate in advance and get it in writing!! I aggree Mr hops, you were scammed with the "job carrot" and wouldnt be suprised if they refused to pay anything. Post back and let us all know.
                    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                    "Your results may vary"

Comment

When I was actively consulting, my rate was $60/hour with a two hour minimum. Albeit, this was mostly remote consulting. On-site consulting, I billed $95/hour (travel time, gas).
                      I will stress the inportance of setting all terms before any work is performed. Save on bitter feelings all around later.

Prost!
                      Dave
                      Glacier Brewing Company
                      406-883-2595
                      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
                      X